Jessica McKinlay represents businesses in all aspects of bankruptcy, reorganization, restructuring, and winding down.
Jessica focuses her representation on businesses in financial trouble, lenders seeking payment from defaulted loans or other business ventures, trustees in fiduciary capacities, and other parties involved in bankruptcy, workouts, loan modifications, or court disputes. She assists creditors, debtors, trustees, and other-third parties in bankruptcy court and in all state and federal litigation.
Education & Admissions
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., 2006), Utah Law Review, Staff Editor / Moot Court Semi-Finalist
University of Utah (M.B.A., 2006)
University of Utah (B.S., Business Administration, 2003), magna cum laude, Service-Learning Scholar, Outstanding Senior
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of California, Central District of California, Eastern District of California, Southern District of California, District of Nevada, and District of Utah
- Utah Supreme Court, Chief Justice Christine M. Durham, 2008-2009
- Represent Chapter 7 Trustees in Utah and Nevada
- Represent Chapter 12 Trustee in Utah
- Represent debtors in chapter 7, 11, and 12
- Represent creditors objecting to dischargeability of debt in chapter 7 case
- Defend and prosecute adversary proceedings on behalf of trustees, debtors and creditors
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “Good Billing Practices,” United States Trustee’s Office and Panel Trustees, May 19, 2014, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “Bankruptcy Basics for the Non-Bankruptcy Lawyer,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention, March 15, 2013, St. George, Utah.
- “The Open-Pit Copper Mine: Bringing Value to the Surface—Effectively Trying Contested Matters,” American Bankruptcy Institute Rocky Mountain Bankruptcy Conference, January 24-25, 2013, Denver, Colorado.
- “Stern v. Marshall: Addressing Jurisdictional Questions in Adversary Proceedings,” United States Trustee’s Office and Panel Trustees, September 24, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “Bankruptcy Law & Creditor Rights,” Women Lawyers of Utah, September 11, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “Bankruptcy Aspects of Landlord Tenant Law,” Lorman CLE, August 3, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Industries & Practices
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
Professional & Civic
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Turnaround Management Association
- David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II American Inns of Court
- Utah Bankruptcy Lawyers Forum
- Amicus Board, Intermountain Healthcare
- Bridge of Love Board, supporting Romanian children
- Leadership Committee: And Justice for All, supporting Utah Legal Services, Legal Aid of Salt Lake, and Utah Disability Law Center
- Women Lawyers of Utah, CLE Chair
- Young Alumni Board Member, University of Utah