ED MCINTOSH WORKS WITH HEALTH CARE ORGANIZATIONS TO ADDRESS STATE AND FEDERAL REGULATORY MATTERS AND SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE STRATEGIC TRANSACTIONS.
He helps a variety of health care providers address complex regulatory issues, strategic acquisitions, affiliation and contractual agreements.
He represents large metropolitan hospitals as well as critical access hospitals, retirement communities and physician groups, on a broad range of health, employment, regulatory and litigation matters. He has represented healthcare providers in the development of co-management agreements, acquisition of physician practices, and medical director agreements.
He appears frequently before administrative agencies, including the State Health Facilities Council, the agency which evaluates applications for Certificates of Need in Iowa. He represents nursing homes in administrative proceedings related to surveys.
He is a partner and co-chair of Dorsey’s Health Transactions and Regulations practice.
Education & Admissions
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., 1976), with high distinction, Order of the Coif; Editor, Moot Court Board; Member, National Moot Court Team
University of Iowa (B.A., 1972)
U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
- Representation of hospital in sale to large hospital system.
- Representation of Buyer in acquisition of specialty pharmacy.
- Representation of large and small long-term care companies in acquisition or sale and leases of numerous facilities in Iowa, Oklahoma, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- Representation of clients in purchase or sale of retail pharmacies.
- Representation of a long-term acute care hospital in establishing first LTACH in Iowa.
- Representation of physician groups and hospitals in creation of physician hospital arrangements including clinical co-management agreements.
- Representation of health care providers in over 100 Certificate of Need applications before the Health Facilities Council.
- Representation of nursing home and CCRCs in survey matters.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Health Care
- Health Transactions & Regulations
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
Professional & Civic
- Chair of Iowa Justice for Our Neighbors (2003-2012)
- Chair for the Community Institutional Health Ministries Committee of the Annual Conference of Iowa Methodist Church
- Judicial Magistrate Appointing Commission
- General Counsel of LeadingAge Iowa
- General Counsel of Iowa Prescription Drug Corporation
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers©, 2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2007-2018
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized by Global Law Experts as “Healthcare Law - Law Firm of the Year in Iowa – 2016”