MELINDA’S PRACTICE FOCUSES ON EMPLOYEE HEALTH AND WELFARE PLANS.
Melinda is a Partner in the Benefits & Compensation practice group. Her experience includes working with entities involved with health care on compliance with ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, Medicare Secondary Payer rules, Federal and State health care mandates, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform).
Melinda is currently the firm’s General Counsel and Secretary to the firm’s Policy Committee.
- Works with self-funded and insured employers, hospital systems, clinics, and pharmacy benefit managers on compliance and contracting issues
- Advises employers and health care vendors on wellness programs and compliance with the HIPAA Non-discrimination Rules, the ADA and the ADAAA, and compliance with the Mental Health Parity Act and the Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA)
- Counsels Covered Entities and Business Associates on HIPAA Privacy and Security requirements including the revisions to HIPAA made by the HITECH Act
- Counsels Covered Entities and Business Associates on data security and breach notification responsibilities and requirements under HIPAA and Minnesota law
- Advises employers on various Federal and State laws affecting on-site clinics for employees
- Knowledgeable on Federal and State Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangement (MEWA) requirements
- Negotiates third party administrator, HMO, and pharmacy benefit manager contracts
- Advises employers and vendors on compliance for cafeteria plans, disability plans, life insurance plans, vacation and sick leave policies, and other welfare benefits
- Former in-house counsel for Minnesota-based HMO, PPO and third party administrator.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Dorsey & Whitney Client Presentation: “ACA Reporting: Preparing for 2016 Deadlines,” July 13, 2015
- Minnesota CLE: “Affordable Care Act Basics for the Non-Health Law Attorney,” June 10, 2014
- The 2014 Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute: “More on the Affordable Care Act: An Employment Practice Guide,” May 19-20, 2014
- Dorsey & Whitney Client Presentation: “The Affordable Care Act – Employer Shared Responsibility (4980H), 90 Day Waiting Period, and Reporting Under 6055 and 6056,” April 22, 2014
- Minnesota CLE: The Affordable Care Act for the Non Health Lawyer: “The Exchanges Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA),” January 31, 2014
- UACPA Winter Conference: “Health Coverage After The Affordable Care Act,” December 13, 2013
- Minnesota CLE Closely Held Business Conference: “Health Coverage After The Affordable Care Act,” October 28, 2013
- Dorsey & Whitney Client Presentation: “Same Sex Marriages, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships – From Benefits to Form W-2,” August 7, 2013
- 2013 Health Law Institute: “Employer Response to the Affordable Care Act: Penalties, Fees and Will Employers Send Employees to the Exchanges?” June 6, 2013
- Dorsey & Whitney Client Presentation: “Health Care Reform Taxes and Fees – Employer Shared Responsibility, Patient Centered Outcomes Research, and Transition Reinsurance Fees,” March 5, 2013
- Minnesota CLE Advanced Employee Benefits Workshop: “Health Care Reform,” February 21, 2013
- Minnesota CLE Advanced Employee Benefits Workshop: “The Exchanges under the Affordable Care Act (“ACA”),” February 20, 2013
- Minnesota CLE: The Affordable Care Act for the Non-Health Lawyer: “ The Affordable Care Act (ACA) Snapshot: Impact on Employers,” January 31, 2013
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Digital Health
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Indian & Alaska Native