CHIP HELPS BUSINESSES INVOLVED IN DISPUTES ACHIEVE THEIR GOALS.
For over 25 years, Chip’s clients have benefitted from his tenacity, creativity, insight and strategic thinking in handling high-stakes lawsuits. His success in trials across the country also enables Chip to forge pragmatic solutions to complicated business disputes.
Chip also works with his clients to reduce their liability risks and to help them navigate the federal regulatory system, particularly in connection with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Chip is the Partner in Charge of Dorsey’s Washington, DC, office, and is actively involved in the community. Chip is the board chairman of College Success Foundation – District of Columbia, which helps low income children prepare for college and earn college degrees; is a board member of the Children’s Law Center, whose mission is ensuring that every child in DC can grow up with a loving family, good health and a quality education; is on the Executive Committee of the Federal City Council; and is a member of the Program Committee of the Economic Club of Washington.
Education & Admissions
Princeton University (A.B., Economics, 1984), with honors
University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1987), cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, Eighth, Eleventh, Federal and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for Colorado, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Minnesota, the Northern District of Iowa and the Central District of Illinois
- Successfully defended a major water utility in a $70 million case arising out of a catastrophic fire.
- Won a multi-million judgment in a dispute over post-closing adjustments to the sale price of a business.
- Represents an e-commerce company in multi-million dollar litigation arising out of the marketing and hosting of an online store.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer in multi-million dollar property damage, personal injury and wrongful death cases resulting from a plant explosion.
- Won a judgment worth more than $250 million in a breach of fiduciary duty suit involving ownership of commercial real estate assets.
- Obtained a $100+ million jury verdict in a dispute over control of an aerospace company.
- Won a jury verdict in a dispute over testing equipment for high-speed helicopter engines.
- Regularly represents companies in matters before the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
News & Resources
Events & Speaking Engagements
Select Client Presentations
Industries & Practices
- Clean Technology
- Commercial Litigation
- Electronic Discovery
- Food & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Health Litigation
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Board Chairman, College Success Foundation – District of Columbia
- Board Member, Children’s Law Center
- Executive Committee Member, Federal City Council
- Member, Economic Club of Washington