CHIP HELPS BUSINESSES INVOLVED IN DISPUTES ACHIEVE THEIR GOALS.
For over 35 years, Chip’s clients have benefitted from his tenacity, creativity, insight and strategic thinking in handling high-stakes lawsuits. His success in trials across the country also enables Chip to forge pragmatic solutions to complicated business disputes.
Chip has particular expertise with respect to consumer class action litigation, particularly matters involving claims of “greenwashing” and product labeling; energy litigation; product liability litigation, and commercial litigation. Chip also works with his clients to reduce their liability risks and to help them navigate the federal regulatory system, particularly in connection with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Chip is the Partner in Charge of Dorsey’s Washington, DC, office, and is actively involved in the community. Chip is the board chairman of College Success Foundation – District of Columbia, which helps low income children prepare for college and earn college degrees; is the board chairman of the Children’s Law Center, whose mission is ensuring that every child in DC can grow up with a loving family, good health, and a quality education; and is a member of the Program Committee of the Economic Club of Washington.
Education & Admissions
University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1987), cum laude
Princeton University (A.B., Economics, 1984), with honors
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, Eighth, Eleventh, Federal and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for Colorado, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Minnesota, the Northern District of Iowa and the Central District of Illinois
- Successfully defended a major water utility in a $70 million case arising out of a catastrophic fire.
- Won an $18+ million judgment for a local natural gas distribution company arising out of non-deliveries of gas during a winter storm.
- Won a multi-million judgment in a dispute over post-closing adjustments to the sale price of a business.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer in multi-million dollar property damage, personal injury and wrongful death cases resulting from a plant explosion.
- Won a judgment worth more than $250 million in a breach of fiduciary duty suit involving ownership of commercial real estate assets.
- Obtained a $100+ million jury verdict in a dispute over control of an aerospace company.
- Successfully defended a national consumer products company in a nationwide class action concerning the recyclability of single-serving coffee pods.
- Obtained dismissals of multiple class actions involving labeling of consumer products, including ingredient claims and recyclability claims.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Creative Industries
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Electronic Discovery
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Litigation
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Board Chairman, College Success Foundation – District of Columbia
- Board Member, Children’s Law Center
- Executive Committee Member, Federal City Council
- Member, Economic Club of Washington