Ms. Lee served as an Enforcement Attorney in the CFPB’s Field Litigation Team for several years since the agency’s inception. In that role, she led investigations of financial services firms; negotiated consent orders and stipulations and admissions with such firms; and served as the CFPB’s Enforcement Division’s representative on supervisory examinations conducted by the CFPB under its visitorial powers. Her “insider’s view” of the CFPB provides an invaluable perspective to the clients she serves, in both the enforcement and litigation context and in the compliance and business-operations context. In her short time since leaving government, Ms. Lee has handled dozens of matters involving the CFPB or state agencies. Her frequent appearances before the CFPB set her apart from most practitioners in the enforcement arena.
Ms. Lee represents financial services clients in government investigations, Congressional inquiries, and complex litigation matters involving federal or state consumer financial statutes and implementing regulations. She has unique expertise sought by clients requiring assistance with Civil Investigative Demands from the CFPB, defending their interests in ongoing enforcement investigations or litigation matters, including drafting NORA response letters, negotiating compliance with CIDs and negotiating consent orders. Clients facing private actions involving consumer financial services claims, including class actions, also rely on Ms. Lee and the rest of Dorsey’s deep bench of litigators.
In addition to examinations and supervisory matters in which clients are already in “response mode” with regulators, Ms. Lee advises clients in avoidance of regulatory problems and represents businesses in policy-setting or rulemaking meetings with the CFPB. This advice arises in many contexts, including compliance control, product design, and transaction structuring. The combination of experience inside the CFPB and in private practice has given Ms. Lee a broad view of the regulatory landscape, and she advises clients on all consumer financial protection laws, including UDAAP, FCRA, RESPA, TILA, ECOA, EFTA, FDCPA, GLB, SCRA, and MLA.
Clients who look to Ms. Lee for counsel include not only banks and other financial institutions, but also financial services clients including FinTech companies. Her FinTech clients regularly seek Ms. Lee’s advice on matters such as consumer lending, mobile banking, privacy, data protection and virtual currencies. All of these clients seek Ms. Lee’s counsel on issues directly affecting consumer strategies, and her focus on clients’ business goals relating to those strategies is fundamental to her approach. This includes the goal of keeping sensitive governmental exams and inquiries out of the public eye.
Ms. Lee is a highly regarded commentator on consumer financial services issues, and has been quoted in national and international publications including The Wall Street Journal, American Banker, The National Law Journal, Forbes, Bloomberg and many others.
Ms. Lee can be contacted via email at Lee.Jenny@Dorsey.com or at 202.442.3572.
Education & Admissions
University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 2006)
Duke University (B.S., 2001)
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- German and Korean
- Judicial Intern, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Judge Royce C. Lamberth
- Advised global retail banking business on CFPB investigation of alleged unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices (UDAAP) regarding deposit account products.
- Represented financial institutions in informal proceedings before the CFPB regarding proposed regulation of mandatory arbitration provisions.
- Represented global payroll services provider in responding to a CFPB Civil Investigative Demand regarding stored-value payroll cards and Regulation E.
- Defended overseas holding company in CFPB litigation alleging UDAAP and Credit Practices Rule violations.
- Advised a participant in the student loan market on CFPB investigation of alleged UDAAP regarding servicing activities.
- Represented national consumer finance company in Congressional inquiry regarding consumers’ purchases of financial services.
- Provided compliance counseling to consumer credit and identity-theft prevention services businesses on fair lending issues and CFPB.
- Provided compliance counseling to various emerging market Fin Tech companies on consumer loans, mobile banking technology and virtual currency issues.
- Counseled investment companies and financial services firms on privacy and data protection issues under FCRA and GLB Act.
- Collaborated with Microfinance CEO Working Group on a pro bono basis to implement the Model Law and Commentary for Financial Consumer Protection in developing countries.
- While at the CFPB, first-chaired the agency’s first joint state and federal enforcement action and other actions; issued and negotiated compliance with civil investigative demands; and took sworn testimony from witnesses during investigational hearings – securing consent orders for injunctive relief, consumer restitution, and civil money penalties.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Moderator and speaker, "Individual Attorney Liability in CFPB Enforcement Matters," American Bar Association Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, September 14-16, 2017
- Speaker, “Responding to an Enforcement Action,” Mortgage Bankers Association 2017 Conference, May 5-9, 2017
- Presenter, “Bank Examination Privilege,” onsite client seminar
- Speaker, “A Rising Tide: Increased Pushback in CFPB CID Matters,” Consumer Bankers Association 2017 Conference, April 2-5, 2017
- Moderator, “Financial Services Enforcement – the Impact of the CFPB and the PHH Corp. Decision,” Webinar Playback: Third Annual Federal Enforcement Forum, December 1, 2016
- Moderator, “Heightened Scrutiny in Financial Services: Government Enforcement in the Banking Sector,” International Association of Korean Lawyers Annual Conference, September 30, 2016
- Speaker, "Impact of the Regulatory and Compliance Challenges Surrounding Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Blockchain on the Prepaid Industry," September 26-27, 2016
- Speaker, "CFPB Outlook for 2016-2017," Bank Counsel Roundtable, September 2016
- Speaker, CFPB Examination and Enforcement Process panel during the Mortgage Bankers’ Association Regulatory Compliance Conference 2016, September 18, 2016.
- Presenter, “The Revised HMDA Rule— Legal Risks and Implementation Challenges,” July 14, 2016
- “The CFPB’s Arbitration Proposal and Its Implications,” Bank Counsel Roundtable, May 17, 2016
- “CFPB Investigations—The Agency Perspective,” Bank Counsel Roundtable, February 29, 2016
- Speaker, “Current Developments in Financial Services Regulatory Enforcement,” Webinar Playback: Second Annual Federal Enforcement Forum, February 24, 2016
- “Federal Financial Services Enforcement – Current Developments,” Dorsey & Whitney Second Annual Federal Enforcement Forum, February 24, 2016
- “Preparing for a CFPB Examination,” Bank Counsel Roundtable, January 24, 2016
- Moderator and speaker, “Is Your Cell Phone Company Now a Bank?”, Women in Housing and Finance, Luncheon Presentation, Washington, DC, November 2015
- Co-chair and speaker, "Consumer Lending Regulatory Compliance, Lessons Learned and Best Practices in an Era of Heightened Government Scrutiny for the Industry," American Conference Institute, New York, NY, October 2015
- Presenter, "The New Normal? CFPB's Regulatory Scrutiny of the Telecommunications Industry," Dallas, TX, June 16, 2015
- Presenter, "Why Fair Credit Reporting and Data Accuracy Are So Deeply Important to the CFPB," Wilmington, DE, February 19, 2015
- Presenter, "The Other A in UDAAP," Federal Depository Insurance Corporation: Examiner Training Program, Arlington, VA, October 2014
- Presenter, "Is the Pollution Exclusion a Silver Bullet?," Harris Martin Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference, Miami, FL, October 2010
- Presenter, "Risk Management and Ethical Considerations Involving E-Discovery," IAKL Conference, Chicago, IL, September 2010
Industries & Practices
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Blockchain & Digital Assets
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Emerging Companies
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Indian & Alaska Native
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Lending Transactions
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Technology Commerce
Professional & Civic
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of D.C., Board of Directors; Co-Chair of Partners and Senior Counsel Committee (2016-2017)
- International Association of Korean Lawyers - Chairman, Overseas Board of Directors (2015-2017); Director, Overseas Board of Directors (2011-2015)
- Opera Lafayette, Director, Board of Directors (2010-2015)
- Korean American Bar Association of Washington DC, Vice President (2011-2013)
- Korean American Bar Association of Chicago, Director, Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- Global Alliance For Africa, Director, Auxiliary Board (2006-2009)