Justice Lang served for over 16 years on the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Dallas. That 13 Judge appellate court has the highest case volume of the 14 intermediate appellate courts in Texas. While on the court, Justice Lang authored more than 2,100 opinions and participated in more than 6,100 case decisions. During that same period, Justice Lang served for six years as a member of the Texas Multi-District Litigation Panel and as Chair of the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct.
Justice Lang is renowned and highly respected for his tireless leadership in bar and community activities, his dedication to mentoring young lawyers, and his devotion to civility and ethics in the legal profession during his more than 40 year career. Justice Lang’s belief in the importance of mentoring led him to author Deeds, Not Words—Mentors As Guiding Lights of Integrity In The Legal Profession, a compilation of experiences recounted to him by a variety of bar leaders, judges, and successful attorneys. Further, Justice Lang is a frequent speaker at civic and continuing education events around Texas and nationally and has many published articles to his credit on appellate law, civility, and ethics.
Education & Admissions
University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 1972)
Drake University (B.S.B.A., 1969),
- Vice President, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Social Fraternity
- Chair, Student Union Committee, Student Government
- Recipient of athletic scholarship
- Recipient of Letter Awards in Intercollegiate Football and Wrestling
- Recipient of “Bill Boelter Award” to the outstanding senior athlete accepted for graduate study (Partial Graduate School Stipend)
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate & Land Use
Professional & Civic
- Dallas Bar Association, President, 1991 as well as various Chair and Committee positions over the years.
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Chair, 1998-2001; Vice Chair, 1996-98; Secretary/Treasurer, 1995-96; Trustee, 1991-2001; Fellow, 1991-present.
- American Inns of Court Foundation, Secretary, 2012-2014; Board of Trustees, 2005-2018 (member executive committee 2008-2015).
- American Law Institute, Elected Member, 2004-present (The invited membership of the Institute engages in the study, analysis, and publication of commentaries on principles of the law).
- National Conference of Bar Presidents of the American Bar Association, President, 2004-2005.
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel, President, 1996-1997; Vice President, 1994-1995; President-Elect, 1995-1996; Board of Directors, 1990-1993 (Organization providing continuing education for lawyers engaged in law practices focused on banking and finance).
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates-Dallas Bar Association Representative, 1996-2000, 2006-2013.
- Salesmanship Club of Dallas, Inc., Member, 1992-present. The Club produces the annual Byron Nelson Golf Classic where PGA golf professionals compete for a multi-million dollar purse. The Club is comprised of Dallas’ top business and legal leaders.
- The Dallas Foundation, Member Board of Governors, 2008-2014. The Foundation has nearly half a billion dollars in assets and serves as a resource for major philanthropists to support the charitable causes of the city and county of Dallas.
- Drake University: National Alumni Association, President, 2002-2004; Board of Directors, 1998-2006; Drake University Board of Trustees, Member, 2002-present. The board of approximately 35 members from across the country meets four times a year and is an active board engaged in the shared governance of the university in general.
- Christ the King Catholic Church, Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (trained lay minister serving at Mass), Lector (reader at Mass), 2014–Present, Presenter/lecturer RCIA Course (Adult confirmation classes) 2015–Present.
- Shalom Award for Civic Contribution, January 13, 2019, Presented by Temple Shalom Brotherhood.
- State Bar of Texas, Presidents’ Award, (Outstanding Contributions to the Legal Profession), 2010.
- Recognition for Service and Leadership, (“In Grateful Appreciation for Your Outstanding Leadership”), awarded by the American Civil Trial Bar Roundtable, March 14, 2015.
- Texas Bar Foundation, 2007 Lola Wright Foundation Award for outstanding public service in advancing and enhancing legal ethics in Texas.
- State Bar of Texas, 1999 Presidential Citation Recipient.
- State Bar of Texas, 1995 Outstanding Third-Year Director Award.
- Citation of Merit, University of Missouri School of Law, September 2012, “Highest Award Conferred by the Law School.”
- William “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court, 2011 Serjeant of the Inn Award.
- President’s Citation, Dallas Bar Association, In Appreciation for Leadership, November 6, 2018.
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellows Award, (Service to the Community and the Legal Profession), 2010.
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Outstanding Mentor Award, 2008.
- Dallas Bar Association, 2007 Morris Harrell Professionalism Award.
- Drake University, Double D Award, 1993 (Drake’s highest award bestowed upon former athletic letter award winners for professional achievement and community service).
- Drake University, 1992 Alumni Achievement Award.
- State Bar of Texas Award of Merit conferred upon the Dallas Bar Association for its 1991 programs during Lang’s presidency.
- Legal Services of North Texas’ Outstanding Service Award, 1991.
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers’ Outstanding Young Lawyer in Dallas, 1981.