Carson’s transactional practice focuses on aiding clients in navigating and complying with complex regulatory requirements in mergers and acquisitions of all kinds. Carson has experience in putting together collaborative networks of health care providers including accountable care organizations and clinically integrated networks. Carson’s transactional experience extends to matters of corporate organization and governance, employee issues, and antitrust law, always with an eye towards client satisfaction.
Carson’s regulatory practice is focused on a variety of matters surrounding state and federal regulatory compliance. Carson’s practice covers state and federal fraud and abuse laws, including Stark, Anti-kickback, and the False Claims Act; Medicare and Medicaid rules; commercial insurance; HIPAA and HITECH; certificates of need; and EMTALA, among others.
Carson’s administrative experience includes assisting providers in matters involving self-disclosure, repayment, and reporting as well as seeking advisory opinions from relevant authorities as appropriate.
Education & Admissions
Georgia State University College of Law (J.D., 2015), Health Law Certificate with Honors
University of South Carolina (2012), cum laude
- Not admitted in Iowa.
- State of Georgia Superior Court
- Court of Appeals of the State of Georgia
- Supreme Court of the State of Georgia
- Represented a pharmacy corporation in registering and operating its business in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Represented a client in connection with the granting of multiple variances from laws and regulations.
- Advised a large corporate client on the drafting of revised policies and procedures to comply with state and federal laws.
- Represented local hospital in revising certain contracts in response to COVID-19.
- Advised large hospital client on federal fraud and abuse risks and solutions associated with proposed transaction.
- Represented hospital client in analysis and applicability of EMTALA provisions in establishing alternative screening sites.
- Represented local hospital in asset purchase of physician practice.
- Represented hospital in negotiating contracts related to 340B program.
- Represented hospital in structuring a program for subsidizing the costs of emergency medical services.
- Represented a local hospital in structuring behavioral health transportation services.
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Digital Health
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations
Professional & Civic
American Health Law Association
- Leadership Development Program
- Fraud and Abuse Practice Group
- Health Information and Technology Practice Group
- Payers, Plans, and Managed Care Practice Group
- Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group
- Antitrust Practice Group