He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) of private and public companies in financial services and other industries. His experience includes insurance M&A transactions and related insurance regulatory matters. He also represents clients in joint ventures and private equity transactions.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 1991), cum laude; Walter J. Trogner Scholar; Articles Editor, Minnesota Law Review
Morehouse College (B.S., Biology and Physics, 1986), summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Honorable Nathaniel R. Jones, 1-1
- Thrivent Financial’s acquisition of Newman Long Term Care
- U.S. Bank’s acquisitions of:
- Deutsche Bank’s U.S. municipal bond trustee business
- FSV Payment Systems, a prepaid card processing company
- AIS Fund Administration, a leading provider of fund administration and related services to alternative investment managers
- Union Bank’s institutional trust business providing services to retirement plans, labor management trusts and registered investment advisers
- Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi's rollover investment of $100 million in Life Time common stock in the acquisition of Life Time by affiliates of Leonard Green & Partners and TPG
- Corero plc's acquisition of Top Layer Networks, Inc.
- Integrated Decisions and Systems, Inc.’s (IDeaS’) sale to SAS Institute Inc.
- Amcom Software, Inc.’s acquisitions of Teltronics, Inc.’s Telident 911 Solutions product line and XTEND Communications
- 2ndWave Software, Inc.’s acquisition of Amcom Software, Inc.
- The Scoular Company’s sale of a 100-million-gallon-per-year greenfield ethanol project to White Energy Holding Company, LLC
- Allied Capital Corporation’s investments of $36.5 million to recapitalize Sweet Traditions, LLC, a franchisee of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation, and $180 million to recapitalize Advantage Sales & Marketing, Inc.
- Allied Capital Corporation’s sale of Advantage Sales & Marketing, Inc. to J.W. Childs Associates, L.P. and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity for $1.05 billion
- Advantage Sales & Marketing, Inc.’s acquisitions of In-Store Opportunities, Inc. (d/b/a Superfridge) and other specialty sales and marketing agencies
- Lang Group Chartered’s sale to BDO Seidman, LLP
- The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.’s (BNA’s) acquisitions of STF Services Corporation and Kennedy Information, LLC
- NEC Corporation’s lead investment in a $48 million round of financing of Zefer Corporation
- Vitol Gas & Electric LLC’s sale of its power marketing business to Avista Corp.
Industries & Practices
- Closely Held Businesses
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Professional & Civic
- Board of Advisors, University of Minnesota Law School
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Member, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Member and former Membership Subcommittee Chair, LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities Committee
- Contributor, Prototype Limited Liability Partnership Agreement (2003)
- Presenter and Moderator, Young Business Lawyer Institute (2005, 2006)
- Contributor, Model Real Estate Development Operating Agreement with Commentary (2008)