Mika has over ten years of experience in the patent field. She utilizes her technical and cross-cultural knowledge to assist Japanese applicants and inventors in the U.S. patent application and prosecution processes. Recently, her practice includes patent prosecution of semiconductor device and software inventions, including digital entertainment, artificial intelligence and internet of things.
Before joining Dorsey, Mika was an in-house Intellectual Property Engineer at Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., responsible for invention harvesting, prosecution and enforcement of Alpine’s intellectual property rights including car navigation systems (GPS) and advanced driver-assistance technologies.
Prior to beginning her patent career, Mika worked as an electrical/software engineer for Sony Corporation (Tokyo, Japan and San Jose, CA), specialized in control systems and digital audio/video signal processing. Mika also worked as a postdoc researcher for UCLA Head & Neck surgery, focused on voice/speech related technologies.
- Conducted invention disclosure meetings, prepared patent applications, and managed patent prosecution in technologies including
- Electrical devices including computer memory, video compression techniques
- Digital health and biosensor systems including vital monitoring systems and respiratory support systems
- Digital entertainment networks and systems including video streaming systems and video games
- Language learning (Speech) technologies
- Conducted patent due diligence and post-transaction title transfer in fields ranging from medical devices and treatments to artificial intelligence systems
- Counseled clients on patent strategies, including use of expedited examination techniques (e.g., patent prosecution highway (PPH)) based on international portfolios
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Drafting US Patent Application for AI Invention, Japan Intellectual Property Association, December 9, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management