Samir helps clients face questions of complex regulatory matters.
Samir is an associate in the Regulatory Affairs practice group. His practice focuses on privacy law, including cybersecurity; telecommunications, including FCC licensing laws, international authorization applications and domestic transfer of control filings, and USAC contribution filings; and environmental law.
During law school, Samir served as a judicial extern for the Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Section and served on the Howard Law Journal.
- Advised clients on compliance obligations in collecting information from children, as defined in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
- Advised clients on privacy-adjacent federal law compliance including the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003 (“CAN-SPAM”); and the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”).
- Advised clients on using push notifications in contacting users instead of emails or SMS text messages.
- Provided due diligence assistance to a major video game company in bankruptcy as to whether it could sell its player database as an asset.
- Assisted and advised clients, including agriculture and health industry-related businesses in dealing with data incidents, including filing data breach notifications with state Attorneys General and with affected individuals.
- Assisted client in dealing with a data incident resulting in filings with a Data Protection Authority based on applicable requirements under the GDPR.
- Assisted in determining whether a company had specific state and federal responsibilities in safeguarding geo-location data.
- Represented clients in various industries regarding their federal TCPA obligations stemming from mergers and acquisitions; counseled public and private entities regarding their TCPA obligations; and provided guidance regarding TCPA-specific requirements pertaining to the collection of debts.
- Represented school districts in a Universal Service Administrative Company (“USAC”) E-Rate audit, and represented school districts in front of USAC and the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”) appealing audit decisions.
- Represented international telecommunications service providers seeking International Section 214 authorization to provide telecommunications services within the United States.
- Helped multiple telecommunications companies come into compliance with their federal universal service reporting and contribution requirements, including back-filing past due FCC Forms 499, while minimizing potential sanctions.
- Assisted multiple telecommunications companies with the completion and filing their annual and quarterly FCC Forms 499.
- Provided counsel to a start-up data services company regarding the applicability of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) to the cloud.
- Provided guidance on Net Neutrality to prominent mobile application providers.
- Represented a company selling the assets of its American subsidiary, which provided the transmission component of wireline broadband Internet access services, with an application in applying for transfer for control of domestic Section 214 authority.
- Represented companies applying for private FCC licenses, including negotiating with entities in the proposed area on behalf of the companies to reach short spacing agreements on behalf of the companies.
- Assisted a company in narrowbanding preexisting private FCC licenses.
- Represented companies by filing FCC applications for transfers of control and assignment of authorization applications for private wireless licenses, domestic and international section 214 authorizations, and commercial radio authorizations prior to the completion of mergers and acquisitions.
- Assisted a major healthcare system in filing an FCC Form 320 in describing flyover reports for basic signal leakage for an entity providing cable service.
- Assisted with legislative research comparing usage statistics for wireline and wireless subscribers by age group.
- Provided counsel to telecommunications providers by reviewing contracts to provide Internet to municipalities.
Environmental and Energy Law
- Represented several companies in mergers and acquisitions by performing due diligence related to environmental, health, safety, and food compliance issues, and negotiating representations and warranties in in purchase agreements on related topics.
- Assisted companies in determining whether updated lithium ion and sulfuric acid battery regulations affected air transport of inventory.
- Assisted a company in determining whether it could import and export products containing mercury in lieu of the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal (“Basel Convention”) and the Mercury Export Ban Act (“MEBA”).
- Assisted a natural gas pipeline company in a relocation project and preparing portions of a related Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Certificate application.
- Represented a large corporation in a rate increase complaint proceeding before the Iowa Utilities Board.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “The Negative Effects of Ill-Advised Legislation: The Curious Case of the Evolution of Anti-Sharia Law Legislation Into Anti-Foreign Law Legislation and the Impact on the CISG,” 57 How. L.J. 979 (2014).
- “Data Privacy & Security Law 101: A Fast-Paced Overview of the Myriad Sources of Law and Enforcement” co-presenting with Cyrus Malek, Minnesota CLE, Minneapolis, MN, January 29, 2019.
- “Law Firms and Data Security: Complying with Attorney Ethical Obligations” by Samir Islam and Cody Wamsley, New Lawyer Experience, Minneapolis, MN, January 18, 2019
- “Identity Theft Solutions,” Dorsey Well Ahead Program, Minneapolis, MN, November 15, 2018
- “Effectively Dealing with the Seven Essential Legal Risk Points for the Early Stage Company” co-Presenting with Jason Wisniewski and Sam Eads, SEVEN Group Presentation, Orange County, CA, June 28, 2018
- “Deflecting the Demons of Data Loss: Law Firms and Data Security” co-presenting with Robert Cattanach, NetDocs, Minneapolis, MN, March 7, 2018
- “Law Firms and Data Security: Complying with Attorney Ethical Obligations” co-presenting with Robert Cattanach, 2017 Minnesota Technology Law Institute, Minneapolis, MN, November 15, 2017
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act