Deb’s practice encompasses data privacy, cybersecurity and intellectual property transactions, including deep experience in digital content/media, software and other technology transactions. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), a designation given by the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Deb counsels clients in various industries on compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), and other privacy and security laws, and has guided clients through complex data security breaches. Her privacy-related work includes drafting privacy policies for websites and mobile applications, international data transfers, data breach notifications/preparedness, vendor privacy/security programs, training programs for clients, as well as compliance with state and federal laws, FTC guidance, TCPA, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, international privacy laws, and more.
She has advised on hundreds of transactions involving technology, personal data, and content, and has represented service providers and content or technology creators, as well as their enterprise clients.
Deb also has extensive experience in copyright protection and enforcement, user-generated content matters, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), e-commerce agreements, sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions.
She enjoys following the rapid new developments in privacy and Internet law, as well as helping clients manage their data risks and bringing them into compliance.
As the former general counsel to a digital media company, Deb provides practical guidance and solutions to her clients based on their unique circumstances. She is a frequent speaker on topics related to data privacy and cybersecurity, and has been an adjunct professor of Privacy Law at both the University of Colorado Law School and the University of Denver Sturm College of Law.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Data Privacy Laws Overview (CO Attorney General’s Office – Data Privacy Conference 1/2020)
- Data Mapping (Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute 7/2020 - online)
- Ethical Issues in Data Privacy and Security (University of Denver 5/2019)
- CCPA Overview (University of Denver Privacy Foundation Spring Seminar 4/19)
- GDPR Crash Course (Silicon Flatirons 2018)
- New Data Privacy/Security Laws in Colorado and California: Colorado Bar Association IP Section 11/2018
- Annual Data Privacy and Security Update (Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- Ethical Obligations in Data Security and Breach Response (Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation 65th Institute 7/19)
- Privacy and Advertising Law Crash Course (Silicon Flatirons 2016)
- Intellectual Property, Data Security and the TransPacific Partnership (World Trade Center Denver Conference – World Trade Day 2016)
- FTC Data Privacy/Security Update (Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute 5/2015)
- Vital Data Security Policies (Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute 5/2015)
- Data Privacy and Security Best Practices for Scholarship Providers (National Scholarship Providers Association – Annual Conference 2014 and 2015)
- Legal Issues in Data Privacy and Security for Non Profit Organizations (BKD, LLP CPAs and Advisors – Non Profit Organizations Conference 9/2014)
- Online and Mobile Marketing Update (Rocky Mountain IP Institute 5/2014)
- Vendor Relationships – Data Privacy and Security Best Practices and Legal Requirements (IAPP KnowledgeNet 5/2014)
- Data Security and Privacy Law (Mile High Chapter of ARMA – Association of Records Management Administrators 4/2014)
- Data Privacy and Security Requirements for Law Firms (Savvy Training and Consulting Webinar 7/2014)
- Vendor Relationships – Data Privacy and Security Best Practices and Legal Requirements (CO Bar Communications and Technology Section 3/2-14)
Industries & Practices
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Creative Industries
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Digital Health
- Educational Publishing, Technology & Services
- Emerging Companies
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
Professional & Civic
- Vice-Chair Colorado Bar Association Intellectual Property Section
- Adjunct Professor, Privacy Law, University of Colorado Law School (2017) and University of Denver Sturm College of Law (2019)
- Co-Chair Denver Chapter, International Association of Privacy Professional (2014-2016)