Michael has significant experience in both cross-border and domestic transactions, including public and private acquisitions and divestitures, joint venture transactions and private equity investments. Michael has advised a broad range of public and private clients across many industries, including technology, internet, telecommunication, energy, investment funds, and financial institutions.
Michael has also helped actively domestic and foreign clients on cross-border contentious matters arising out of corporate transactions.
Before joining Dorsey, Michael worked in a Chinese law firm in Beijing and an international law firm in Hong Kong.
- Advised Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ: BLDP; TSX: BLDP) on its strategic collaboration with Weichai Power, involving an investment by Weichai of approximately $163.6 million representing a 19.9% interest in Ballard and a joint venture between the two partners in China involving committed capital approximately $158 million.
- Advised a private equity firm on its various preferred shares investments in China.
- Advised a buy-out fund in its acquisition of an English education company in China.
- Advised a Taiwanese bank on its acquisition of a controlling stake in a foreign bank in China.
- Advised a Chinese insurance company on structuring and negotiating its investments into various U.S. dollar-denominated private investment funds raised by major fund managers.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Public-Private Partnerships