Frank Hong is a partner in Dorsey’s Corporate group and Office Head in Beijing. His practice focuses on advising international companies on their direct investments into China as well as advising emerging Chinese multinational corporations on their outbound investments and other aspects of doing business abroad, especially the United States. Frank has substantial experience in cross-border M&A, intellectual property, international trade and Customs (both China and U.S.).
Counseling clients in a wide range of sectors such as energy, machinery (especially auto parts), medical device & pharm, cleantech, and commercial real estate, Frank regularly interacts with various government agencies in China at central, provincial and local levels. His practical experience on the ground and his ability to articulate and secure understanding about the needs of his international clients have proven to be invaluable in navigating the regulatory landscape in China.
Frank devises the most effective way, through communication, to achieve clients’ objectives, be it in the context of dispute resolution, investment or regulatory clearance. As an experienced practitioner of negotiation, he created a course on Legal Negotiation for LLM students at Shanghai Finance & Economics University Law School in 2009 and 2010.
- Advise a North American auto parts company in negotiating its asset and stock sale to a major State Owned Enterprise from China.
- Advise and represent several wholly owned subsidiaries of US companies in handling Chinese Customs enforcement actions, corporate corruption investigations and FCPA investigations.
- Advise a Delaware company to regain control of its business operation in China from a local partner without resorting to litigation.
- Advise an Ohio-based company in handling its Chinese subsidiary’s export control compliance.
- Advise a California medical device company in negotiating its licensing and distribution agreement with a major Beijing distributor.
- Advise a Canadian pharm company in negotiating its distribution agreement with a Chinese distributor.
- Advise and represent (co-counsel) a Beijing media company in a copyright action (U. S. Court, C. D. California) against a New York company, which led to a settlement.
- Advise a U.S. company in negotiating a commercial agreement with a Beijing SOE for exporting advanced undersea equipment to China.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Co-speaker, Top 5 Challenges in China related International Transactions, ChinaBio Forum, 2015
- Speaker, Risks in Cross Border M & A Transactions, China Capital Market Institute, 2014
- Panelist, FCPA Compliance in China: an Uphill Battle, Minneapolis, 2013
- Speaker, Negotiation and Business in China: How “Implicit Law” Makes a Difference; Harvard Law School, 2013
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- Clean Technology
- Commercial Litigation
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Private Equity