John has represented clients ranging from Global 500 companies, to local governments, to high net worth individuals in a broad range of disputes ranging from breach of contract to fraud claims in a broad range of industries from insurance to education. John is equally experienced pursuing claims as he is defending against them at every level from alternative dispute resolution, to trial courts, to appeals.
John crafts litigation strategy to maximize results based on dialogue with his clients and an understanding of their business. Having guided his family’s business through a number of legal disputes not only as an attorney, but as an owner, John knows firsthand how litigation can affect a client’s bottom line and he strives to provide advice and representation in a way that protects it.
Education & Admissions
University of Texas at Austin (J.D., 2016)
University of Texas at San Antonio (M.B.A., 2013)
Yale University (B.A., 2009)
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Northern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Summer Clerkship for 5th Circuit, Judge Gregg Costa
- Won summary judgment for Texas county against claims by county employee of discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Won dispositive summary judgment in federal court awarding individuals the proceeds of an ERISA life insurance policy in an interpleader matter.
- Obtained favorable settlement for insured business seeking coverage under commercial general liability policy for damages resulting from workplace accident.
- Obtained favorable settlements for reverse mortgage lender against claims of fraud by the estates of borrowers.
- Obtained favorable settlements for consultants on claims for breach of contract against clients.
- Member of team that won summary judgment against former president of company for embezzlement and fraud on behalf of shareholder.
- Member of team that obtained favorable settlement for large upstream petroleum company against pipeline manufacturer for defects to oil well casing.
- Obtained favorable settlement for employer on claims of Fair Labor Standards Act violations by employees.
- Member of team that won dispositive summary judgment for Texas county against civil claims of unlawful force during arrest by convict.
- Represented large bank in numerous cases prosecuting claims of breach of contract against borrowers in default and protecting the bank’s interests in borrowers’ bankruptcies.
- Won dispositive summary judgment for Texas county against claims by dismissed employee of open meetings act violations pertaining to the employee’s dismissal.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Labor & Employment
- Latin America
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement