Shira is a consultant and attorney with Dorsey Health Strategies. Shira has advised clients across a wide array of industry segments on topics including compliance with federal and state laws (including GDPR, HIPAA, and TPA and producer licensure requirements), healthcare IT, Big Data, telemedicine and digital health issues, lean transformations (process improvement), vendor management, privacy audits, and comprehensive reviews of current practices against regulations and best practices. As a licensed attorney and via the integrated approach taken by Dorsey’s Health Care Industry Group, Shira’s consulting advice is attuned to and aligned with clients’ legal landscape.
Shira also leads our Digital Health team at Dorsey, which brings together a wide range of expertise across our firm. Leveraging her prior professional experience in telehealth and software development, she provides clients with practical solutions to business and regulatory questions.
Prior to joining Dorsey Health Strategies, Shira worked at McKinsey & Co. as a consultant specializing in healthcare. Her prior professional background is in healthcare and healthcare IT, including working at Epic with large healthcare providers to implement EHRs, as Director of Operations at a digital health company, and with other local and national healthcare entities.
Education & Admissions
University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2010), cum laude, President of Health Law Society
Indiana University - Bloomington (Master’s Cert., Health Policy and Management, 2007), magna cum laude
University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., History and Hebrew, 2001), magna cum laude, Writing Fellow, Phi Beta Kappa
- Led efforts to overhaul vendor management program for large company seeking to improve its vendor selection and ongoing relationships
- Analyzed digital health client’s clinician licensure status across multiple states to assure compliance with state and federal laws, and created a tracking process that enabled client to conduct this work independently in the future.
- Conducted strategic planning for medical device company and assisted with launching new business services.
- Assessed digital health company’s business operations against state regulations and assisted with resultant business planning, including financial projections.
- Reviewed pharma client’s internal business practices and recommended key business changes to reduce audit risk.
- Developed and led privacy audit of nonprofit entity to develop operational recommendations to ensure compliance with healthcare data-related regulations.
- Developed tool that translates legal requirements into fast, actionable advice for non-legal staff to ensure compliance.
- Provided assistance in selecting large-scale consulting team and key strategic considerations and frequently have assisted in staffing selection decisions.
- Additional consulting experiences in varied health industry settings include:
- Facilitated discussions between executives and clinicians to analyze and improve billing process at a hospital after a regulatory query.
- Developed business model to implement shared services to assist integration efforts.
- Optimized electronic health record (EHR) to improve clinical charting, accuracy of building, and more efficient clinical flow.
- Led process improvement (Lean) efforts at large providers and manufacturing facilities: worked with staff to map workflows, identify pain points, and design inexpensive solutions to improve efficiency without reducing headcount.
- Conduct market research on “Big Data” industry players and deliver strategic buy vs. build recommendations to leadership.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- "Medical Industry Opportunities in Brazil," panelist. Roundtable co-hosted by Medical Industry Leadership Institute (MILI) and the Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) at University of MN Carlson School of Business, May 14, 2013.
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Dorsey Health Strategies
- Health Transactions & Regulations
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
Professional & Civic
- Board of Directors, Hennepin Health Foundation
- Elected into MN Women’s Economic Roundtable (MWER - an invitation-only group of women leaders in the state)
- Adjunct professor, Health Law and Management Impact; University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management
- Board of Directors, Medical Industry Leadership Institute (MILI) (2012-Present)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Mentor/Advisor to healthcare technology business accelerator, gBETA Medtech
- Member, Board of Directors, Medical Industry Leadership Institute (MILI) (2012-Present)