Michelle S. Grant
WHEN COMPLICATED, HIGH-STAKES LITIGATION THREATENS THEIR BUSINESS GOALS, COMPANIES AND THEIR BOARDS RELY ON MICHELLE FOR STRATEGIC AND EFFICIENT SOLUTIONS.
As Co-Chair of the Minneapolis Trial Group, Michelle focuses on complex health care and securities litigation. Michelle has successfully represented corporate clients in dozens of class actions and other complex litigation in federal and state courts as well as arbitration throughout the United States.
Michelle has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers,” listed in Best Lawyers in America, and recognized as a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation.
- Represented a claims administrator in two separate putative class actions brought by members challenging certain pharmacy benefits. In one action, Michelle led the case team in filing a successful motion to dismiss plaintiffs’ state law and RICO claims and then later defeated class certification and won summary judgment on plaintiffs’ ERISA claims. In the second action, Michelle led the team in filing a successful motion for summary judgment on plaintiff’s ERISA and RICO claims.
- Represented health insurance company and over 250 self-funded employee benefit plans and employer sponsors in a mass action brought by a group of surgery centers challenging reimbursement rates and medical necessity determinations and in asserting counterclaims for fraud.
- New York State Psychiatric Association v. UnitedHealth Group: Obtained dismissal of putative class action by medical association, providers and participants alleging violations of the Affordable Care Act and the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act.
- In re Medtronic, Inc. Shareholder Litigation: Represented board in lawsuit seeking to enjoin Medtronic’s proposed acquisition of Covidien. Injunction denied and case dismissed.
- Gottlieb v. Navarre Corp.: Represented board in lawsuit seeking to enjoin issuance of additional shares in order to acquire a business. Injunction denied and case dismissed.
- In re St. Jude Medical, Inc. Securities Litigation: Represented medical device manufacturer in securities fraud class action. Summary judgment granted for defendants and all claims dismissed with prejudice.
- In re Possis Medical, Inc. Securities Litigation: Represented medical device manufacturer in securities fraud class action. Obtained early dismissal on all claims that was affirmed by 8th Circuit.
- In re UnitedHealth Group Incorporated PSLRA Litigation and Derivative Litigation: Counsel for defendants in federal class action and derivative cases alleging claims based on backdating of stock options.
- State of Minnesota v. Medica Health Plans: Represented health insurer and its Board of Directors in regulatory litigation involving issues of board governance brought by the Minnesota Attorney General. The Minnesota Court of Appeals reversed the district court’s decision granting the State affirmative relief, paving the way for a trial which resulted in dismissal of all claims.
News & Resources
November 20, 2008
Law360 Asks Dorsey: Do Financial and Clinical Benefits Spring from the Collective Interaction of Hospitals?
October 14, 2008
News & Press Mentions
February 4, 2022
October 1, 2021
October 14, 2020
September 30, 2019
April 25, 2019
November 21, 2018
October 9, 2017
December 23, 2016
December 10, 2015
July 1, 2015
June 22, 2015
Events & Speaking Engagements
March 6, 2019
- “Death, Taxes and M&A Litigation: How to Prepare for the Inevitable,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Corporate Counsel Symposium, CLE presentation (October 2012)
- "Social Media in Civil Litigation," CLE presentation (November 19, 2010)
- "Tort Reform: Is the World Flattening," Dorsey & Whitney LLP Corporate Counsel Symposium, CLE presentation (November 2008)
- "Ask the Expert: E-Discovery," 4-part webinar for Electric Cooperative Bar association (2007)
Industries & Practices
Securities & Financial Services Litigation & EnforcementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Government Enforcement & Corporate InvestigationsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Antitrust & Competition LawExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Electronic Discovery
- Energy & Natural Resources
- ERISA Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2019-2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2020-2021
- Recognized as a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation, 2021-2022
- Recognized as one of Benchmark Litigation's Under 40 Hot List, 2016-2018
- Listed as a "Rising Star" by Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2006-2008, 2010-2017
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2012 and 2018-2019