As Co-Chair of the Minneapolis Trial Group, Michelle focuses on securities litigation and complex health care related litigation. She leads teams to resolve shareholder class actions, derivative litigation, government enforcement actions and other complex business litigation confronting companies like UnitedHealth Group, Medtronic and St. Jude Medical.
While her main focus industry is health care, Michelle has experience handling complex contract matters, business torts and covenant not-to-compete disputes for companies in the energy, food and agribusiness, and retail sectors, among others.
Michelle is active in pro bono efforts, devoting time and expertise to the Children's Law Center of Minnesota and helped found an expungement clinic in partnership with Dorsey client Xcel Energy.
- Representing health insurance company and over 250 self-funded employee benefit plans and employer sponsors in claims and counterclaims alleging benefits due, health care fraud, disability discrimination, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action by medical association, providers and participants alleging violations of the Affordable Care Act and the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act. New York State Psychiatric Association v. UnitedHealth Group, 2013 WL 5878896 (S.D.N.Y. October 31, 2013)
- In re Medtronic, Inc. Shareholder Litigation: Represented board in lawsuit seeking to enjoin Medtronic’s proposed acquisition of Covidien. Injunction denied and case dismissed.
- Gottlieb v. Navarre Corp.: Represented board in lawsuit seeking to enjoin issuance of additional shares in order to acquire a business. Injunction denied and case dismissed.
- In re St. Jude Medical, Inc. Securities Litigation: Represented medical device manufacturer in securities fraud class action. Summary judgment granted for defendants and all claims dismissed with prejudice.
- In re Possis Medical, Inc. Securities Litigation: Represented medical device manufacturer in securities fraud class action. Obtained early dismissal on all claims; affirmed by 8th Circuit.
- In re UnitedHealth Group Incorporated PSLRA Litigation and Derivative Litigation: Counsel for defendants in federal class action and derivative cases alleging claims based on backdating of stock options.
- State of Minnesota v. Medica Health Plans: Represented health insurer and its Board of Directors in regulatory litigation involving issues of board governance brought by the Minnesota Attorney General. The Minnesota Court of Appeals reversed the district court’s decision granting the State affirmative relief, paving the way for a trial which resulted in dismissal of all claims.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Death, Taxes and M&A Litigation: How to Prepare for the Inevitable,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Corporate Counsel Symposium, CLE presentation (October 2012)
- "Social Media in Civil Litigation," CLE presentation (November 19, 2010)
- "Tort Reform: Is the World Flattening," Dorsey & Whitney LLP Corporate Counsel Symposium, CLE presentation (November 2008)
- "Ask the Expert: E-Discovery," 4-part webinar for Electric Cooperative Bar association (2007)
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Electronic Discovery
- Energy & Natural Resources
- ERISA Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Health Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement