Scott brings the tenacity of a former prosecutor to his representation of clients in high-stakes commercial litigation and class action defense. Having tried over twenty cases through final jury verdict, and over one hundred fifty evidentiary hearings, Scott understands that effective advocacy requires creativity, composure, and thorough preparation.
Scott routinely defends clients in nationwide class litigation, with particular emphasis on alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). He works with a team of TCPA litigators and local counsel dedicated to achieving industry leading and cutting edge results. Scott’s class action defense experience also includes alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), data breach and privacy violations, false and misleading advertising, unfair business practices, and unlawful call recordings.
Scott also works with the Labor and Employment team defending class actions and misappropriation of trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, and contract claims.
Prior to joining Dorsey & Whitney, Scott served as a Deputy District Attorney in San Diego where he was assigned to the Felony Trial Team and proudly fought for victims of serious and violent crimes.
Education & Admissions
University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2008)
University of California, Berkeley (B.S., Business Administration, 2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
Representative Class Action Litigation
- Successfully defeated class certification of a “wrong number” and “do not call” data class in a putative nationwide TCPA class action against a major auto finance company with millions of customers.
- Represent large financial institutions, retail, and food and beverage industry clients in putative class actions and individual actions alleging violations of the TCPA and other consumer protection statutes.
- Exposed unlawful legal referral service operating as a call blocking application by thoroughly investigating a class action plaintiff’s claims, resulting in the company shutting down its legal referral service.
- Won complete dismissal and denial of class certification at the pleading stage in putative class action alleging violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law and related statutes against a national food and beverage industry client.
- Defended international juice company against several putative class actions in multiple jurisdictions alleging false and misleading advertising, unfair business practices, violation of California’s Consumer Legal Remedies Act, and breach of warranty.
- Successfully opposed class certification, renewed motion for class certification, and petition for permission to appeal in false advertising putative class action.
- Defended medical billing vendor through final settlement in class action alleging unlawful disclosure of confidential medical information.
- Defended hospital in putative class action alleging unlawful disclosure of confidential medical information.
- Secured dismissal for lack of subject matter jurisdiction in putative class action alleging illegal call recordings.
Representative Commercial Litigation
- Prosecuted and defended several shareholder and member derivative suits alleging breach of fiduciary duties, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud, conversion, and other claims.
- Obtained emergency temporary restraining order preventing trustee sales of over 250 acres of undeveloped land, after which the parties reached a settlement.
- Obtained dismissal and favorable settlement after filing an anti-SLAPP motion in suit accusing screenwriter client of defaming her ex-boyfriend in a television show pilot script.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a complex tax services and breach of contract dispute after dismantling half of the plaintiff’s claims at the pleading stage.
- Obtained favorable settlement for professional boxer in contract dispute with former manager over a prize fight purse.
- Secured client’s release on bail within several days of substituting in for prior counsel where Court had previously set no bail under any conditions in federal criminal indictment alleging over $7,000,000 in Medicare fraud.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act