Spencer has extensive experience structuring and negotiating complex commercial agreements, technology development agreements and strategic transactions, including collaborations, joint ventures and OEM agreements for life sciences, medical devices and technology companies. He also manages the intellectual property aspects of significant mergers, acquisitions, technology transfers and corporate transactions.
Spencer was an editor of the Berkeley Technology Law Journal and a recipient of the Boalt Hall Fellowship.
- Routinely handle all aspects of structuring, drafting, and negotiating a broad range of technology-focused contracts, including agreements for research and development, patent licensing, IP transfers, pharmaceutical development and supply, clinical trials and other life-sciences transactions, consulting and professional services, software licensing, maintenance and support, cloud service subscriptions, equipment manufacturing, hardware and software distribution, OEM integration, semiconductor fabrication, and data usage and security.
- Regarded as one of the firm’s most technically skilled licensing attorneys; highly proficient in drafting complex one-off contracts (such as novel patent pooling arrangements, unique collaboration deals, and nuanced technology spin-outs) and flexible form agreements (such as modular software license templates for an industry consortium).
- Regularly called upon to negotiate high-dollar-value and key strategic deals.
- Manage IP and commercial aspects of M&A transactions, including due diligence and negotiation of related agreement provisions.
- Supervise and mentor other technology transactions attorneys; prepare and lead “licensing boot camp” presentations and other training.
- Support clients in all growth stages, and in industries that include pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer electronics, artificial intelligence, robotics, cloud and mobile applications, digital media processing and distribution, networking, supercomputers, semiconductors, social media, aircraft and satellites, financial technology, and open-source software.
- Have seamlessly and successfully practiced remotely from Salt Lake City for thirteen years, building and maintaining long-term, productive working relationships with clients and attorneys in Silicon Valley, on the East Coast, and elsewhere.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Emerging Companies
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Commerce