Isaac M. Gabriel
Phoenix P +1 (602) 735-2702 F +1 (480) 546-4248 Southern California P (714) 800-1411 F (480) 546-4248
ISAAC FOCUSES ON BANKRUPTCY, CREDITOR'S RIGHTS LITIGATION, AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION.
Isaac brings a pragmatic and rational approach to his clients’ matters which often involve highly contested and financially distressed situations. Clients that he serves include banks, other lending institutions, special servicers, commercial landlords, and corporate clients in all aspects of corporate restructurings, workouts, and insolvency proceedings, including substantial experience in commercial Chapter 11 restructurings. Isaac also brings his restructuring and insolvency experience in representing and advising his clients in various litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Isaac is listed in both Best Lawyers and Southwest Super Lawyers.
Education & Admissions
Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University (J.D., 2002), magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif; Pedrick Scholar; Armstrong Award
- William C. Canby Appellate Advocacy Competition (Winner)
- Arizona State National Moot Court Team
- Arizona State Law Journal (Staff Writer, Fall 2000)
Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management (Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program, 2016)
University of Arizona (B.A., 1998), with honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Represented commercial landlord in lease dispute against publicly traded tenant who refused to re-open/pay rent alleging various COVID-19 pandemic related defenses – successfully obtained 7 figure settlement after extensive litigation.
- Lead trial counsel in defamation case relating to client’s business reputation – obtained monetary damages and punitive damages against defendants.
- Representing national lending institutions and special servicers in complex commercial Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases throughout the United States.
- Representing national banking institutions and other commercial lenders in connection with pre-bankruptcy loan restructurings, state court litigation, receivership actions, and foreclosures related to commercial loans in aggregate value exceeding $1 billion.
- Acting as trustee and instituting foreclosure and collection actions on a $56 million commercial real estate retail project.
- Lead Debtor's Counsel in multiple commercial Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring cases, including hospitality companies, leading to confirmed plans of reorganization and successful turnaround.
- Lead trial counsel for real estate developer in connection with joint development agreement, obtained summary judgment in favor of client.
- Representation of national lender in negligent misrepresentation litigation against officers and directors of a publicly traded company.
- Prosecution/defense of preference and fraudulent transfer claims on behalf of corporate clients state and federal courts, and as special counsel for bankruptcy trustees.
- Lead trial counsel and achieved state court trial verdict for breach of fiduciary duty and quiet title action, obtaining seven figure award and punitive damages against defendants.
- Representing commercial landlords in connection with eviction actions and litigation for unpaid lease obligations against tenants and guarantors, as well as enforcement of landlord liens.
- Lead trial counsel for commercial landlord, dissolved preliminary injunction granted in favor of tenant and obtained summary judgment to enforce lease option resulting in termination of lease and award of attorneys' fees and costs.
- Successfully litigated and resolved various construction and mechanics’ lien disputes.
- Pro bono attorney for Arizona Justice Project on multiple habeas corpus, wrongful conviction cases.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
January 18, 2022
Industries & Practices
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Bankruptcy & Financial RestructuringExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Consumer Financial ServicesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Financial Services RegulatoryExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Securities & Financial Services Litigation & EnforcementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Consumer Financial Services
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Lending Transactions
- Mortgage Banking
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
Professional & Civic
- Board Member - High Country Adaptive Sports, a non-profit dedicated to providing outdoor physical sport opportunities to the disabled (2022-present)
- Pro Bono Attorney, Arizona Justice Project, handling habeas corpus and post-convictions proceedings for potential wrongful convicted prisoners (2007–present)
- Arizona State University Art Museum, Advisory Board Member (2009–2012)
- Turnaround Management Association (Member)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- Capitol Elementary School (Volunteer, 2002–present)
- Arthritis Foundation's Oscar Night America (Board Member, 2006)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program (Volunteer Pro-Bono Lawyer)
- Contributed more than 100+ Challenge pro bono hours, 2022
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Bankruptcy, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2018-2023
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® lists, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights; 2015-present, Bankruptcy: Business, 2012-2014