HOLLY HELPS CLIENTS ACHIEVE THEIR BUSINESS GOALS THROUGH DESIGNING AND MAINTAINING EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLANS.
As a senior attorney in Dorsey’s Benefits & Compensation Group, Holly advises clients on ERISA, tax and related issues affecting health and welfare plans, qualified retirement plans and non-qualified retirement plans. Holly regularly assists clients with plan documents and administration, as well as with navigating compliance issues with the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA and other changing laws in this field. She devotes a substantial portion of her practice to advising public and private companies on their employee benefits issues.
- Prepares plan documents and amendments for retirement and health and welfare plans, as well as corresponding updates to summary plan descriptions and participant notices.
- Assists clients with designing and maintaining health insurance plans and other individual account group health plans.
- Advises clients with questions about compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
- Advises clients on HIPAA privacy and security rules for group health plans, and prepares related documents such as policies, plan amendments and business associate agreements.
- Conducts HIPAA privacy and security training presentations.
- Counsels clients on establishing and maintaining tax qualified retirement plans, including 401(k), 403(b) and money purchase pension plans.
- Assists employers with submissions to the IRS for favorable determination letters and submissions to IRS and DOL corrections programs to resolve plan administration errors.
- Assists clients with 401(k) plan mergers, asset transfers and plan amendments.
News & Resources
“Spouses with Benefits: Finally, (some) clarity: How Obergefell may refigure the employee benefits equation” Bench & Bar of Minnesota
December 3, 2015
Events & Speaking Engagements
November 12, 2019
- “Hot Topics in Benefits,” Dorsey & Whitney Third Annual Forum on Employer Sponsored Benefits, June 2018
- “Cybersecurity for Employee Benefit Plans,” Dorsey & Whitney Second Annual Forum on Employer Sponsored Benefits, June 2017
- “ACA Developments: 2017 So Far and What to Expect,” Twin Cities Chapter of The International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists (ISCEBS), May 2017
- “Don’t Be a HIPAAchondriac: Prepare for Phase 2 HIPAA Audits,” Dorsey & Whitney First Annual Forum on Employer Sponsored Benefits, June 2016
- “Nuts & Bolts of ACA Reporting: Forms 1094 and 1095,” Western Pension & Benefits Council, October 2015
- “The Ins and Outs of Health Care Reform Reporting: What You Need to Know,” Association of Legal Administrators, NYC Chapter, October 2015
- “ACA Reporting: Preparing for 2016 Deadlines,” Dorsey & Whitney Client Presentation, July 2015
- “Smart Women Plan,” panelist on FMLA leave, University of St. Thomas Women Connect, November 2014
- “Employee Benefit Plans: What Attorneys Need to Know Now,” National Business Institute, September 2014
- “Controlled Group Rules,” 2013 Advanced Employee Benefits Workshop, Minnesota CLE, February 2014
- “Employee Benefits Law,” National Business Institute, December 2013
- “Smart Women Plan,” panelist on employee benefits, University of St. Thomas Women Connect, November 2013
- “Self-Directed Brokerage Windows – Fiduciary & Other Concerns,” Midwest Pension Conference, September 2013
- “Changes to HIPAA Provisions – A Briefing on HITECH Act Implications,” The Unnamed Group, August 2013
- “Health Care Reform Update: Latest Information on State Laws and Regulatory Actions,” Washington County Bar Association, July 2013
- “The Affordable Care Act – Planning for 2014,” Minnesota Lodging Association, May 2013
Industries & Practices
- Benefits & Compensation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
Professional & Civic
- Minnesota State Bar Association Publications Committee, 2008 – present; Chair, 2013 – 2016
- Inver Hills Community College Business Programs Advisory Board, 2012 – present
- Adjunct professor of Employee Benefits Law, University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2016 - present
- Guest lecturer in Pensions & Benefits, Employment Law classes, University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2013 – 2016
- Bach Society of Minnesota, board member, 2018 - present