As a corporate attorney, Tao works extensively in the area of corporate transactions including venture capital, private equity, merger and acquisition and corporate restructuring. He represents institutional investors, emerging, high-growth and multinational companies across a broad range of industries including TMT, transportation, food & beverage, life sciences and technology. Tao’s experience extends across corporate governance, business formation, investments, overseas expansion, and commercial contracts.
Prior to joining Dorsey, Tao worked at two leading Chinese law firms specialized in venture capital and private equity transactions. Tao also worked for two years at a NASDAQ-listed medical device company in Silicon Valley of the U.S.
His previous experience enables him to offer an insightful understanding of the challenges facing transactions, investors, and entrepreneurs, and to facilitate transactions through efficient solutions.
- Represented a Chinese state-owned investment fund in its series C investment into an artificial intelligence company*
- Represented a world's leading manufacturer in its series C investment into a Chinese intelligent warehouse company*
- Represented a leading global private investment firm in its series C investment into a Chinese tea drink chain company*
- Represented a leading global private equity firm in its series B investment into a Chinese medical device company*
- Represented a leading global investment firm in its series B investment into an e-commerce and logistics company*
- Represented a leading Chinese media and entertainment conglomerate in its investment into several food & beverage and TMT companies*
- Represented a leading Chinese investment firm in its series A investment into a biotherapeutic company*
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised The Coca-Cola Company with respect to the complex reorganization of Coca-Cola Bottlers Manufacturing Holdings Limited (“CCBMH”). CCBMH, a joint venture entity founded by The Coca Cola Company (through two subsidiaries) and subsidiaries of Swire Group and COFCO (China’s largest state-owned food and agriculture company), through multiple subsidiaries provides preparation and packaging operations in relation to Coca Cola’s still beverages business across Mainland China. On completion of the transaction, the multiple subsidiaries of CCBMH in Mainland China will be transferred to and owned by Swire Group and COFCO, respectively, and The Coca-Cola Company will start its franchise partnership with Swire and COFCO regarding the still beverage bottling system in Mainland China.
- Represented a global financial services group in its acquisition of the controlling interest of a Chinese TMT company*
- Represented an international investment firm in acquiring a majority stake in an international education company*
- Represented a global industrial manufacturer in its restructuring and sale of its entities in China*
- Advised multi-national corporations and high-tech enterprises including a NASDAQ-listed DSP company and a NYSE-listed e-commerce company in respect of general corporate matters covering corporate governance, regulatory, data protection and privacy, advertisement compliance, labor compliance, government registration and filing, etc.*
Industries & Practices
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity