Stuart focuses on providing clients with practical, results-focused services and expert advice and counseling that enable clients to achieve their business goals on a cost-effective and timely basis. He brings over two decades of combined experience in major, multinational law firms and as in-house counsel to FTSE-100, Fortune 25 and small public companies, private companies, family offices and investment management firms to his practice.
Stuart represents a wide range of private equity and mezzanine funds, independent sponsors and institutional investors in fund formation, acquisitions, growth and exit transactions, control and minority equity investments and all manner of domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. He also counsels fund portfolio companies, start-ups and other privately held business on entity formation and governance and a broad range of business and operational matters.
Stuart’s representative transactions include1:
- Represented ORIX Mezzanine & Private Equity in connection with investments in Ranger Airshop (a provider of cargo control products at over half of the world’s top fifty air cargo hubs), United Enertech Corp. (provider of air movement and air control products), Sutherland Perennials (leader in provision of high-tech fabrics to designers and high-end retailers), and United PF Holdings (a Planet Fitness franchisee).
- Represented ORIX Mezzanine & Private Equity in connection with financing for an add-on acquisition by ORIX’s portfolio company R2integrated (a full-service marketing agency specializing brand development, demand generation, marketing cloud technology, content strategy, and search optimization), and in the sale of R2i to affiliates of Baird Capital.
- Represented investment funds managed by Yukon Capital Partners in connection with investments in the healthcare, building products and language translation services industries.
- Represented investment funds managed by Seacoast Capital in connection with investments in the healthcare, security, last-mile delivery, wholesale flower growing and distribution, and various other industries.
- Represented Seacoast Capital Partners II in connection with the sale of its portfolio company EarlyBird Delivery Systems to an affiliate of XPO Logistics, Inc.
- Represented Seacoast Capital Partners III in connection with the sale of its portfolio company DVTel to FLIR Systems.
- Represented investment funds advised by Dos Rios Management in connection with investments in the security scanning technology, specialty retail and healthcare industries.
- Represented Freedom 3 Capital in connection with the formation of Freedom 3 Investments III, a $150 million mezzanine and equity co-investment fund.
- Represented Traveller Capital Advisors in connection with the formation of an investment fund focused on secondary purchases of limited partner interests in private equity, LBO and other investment funds.
- Representation of Whitman Peterson in connection with the formation of Whitman|Peterson Capital, Ltd., a real estate management co-investment fund.
- Representation of The Weir Group, PLC in connection with $635 mm acquisition of S.P.M. Flow Control, Inc., one of the leading suppliers of high-pressure pumps and other materials for the North American unconventional oil and gas drilling operations and an add-on acquisition of a manufacturer of plungers and other consumables.
- Numerous transactions involving Parallel Investment Partners and its predecessor, including the formation of Parallel 2005 Investment Fund, L.P., a $235 million private equity investment fund and acquisitions of controlling or significant interests in a supplier of non-firearm equipment and supplies to police, fire and security industries; a retailer focused on the outdoor and adventure clothing market; a retailer of fine teas and related accessories; and a provider of media displays and in-game content for major colleges and universities; and the sale of JetStar Energy to Basic Energy Services, Inc.
- Numerous transactions involving The Riverside Company and its affiliates, including the formation of Riverside Europe Equity Fund III, L.P., Riverside Asia Fund, L.P., and Riverside Micro-Cap Fund III, L.P., and the acquisition of a controlling interest in ITEL Laboratories, Inc. The largest independent tester for determining fair-market replacement value of damaged products. ITEL Laboratories is used by insurance carriers, claims adjusters, contractors and property owners.
- Representation of Bay Harbour Management and Robert Earl (founder of Planet Hollywood), in connection with the $663 million bankruptcy acquisition of Aladdin Hotel & Casino, which included §363 million purchase agreement; $510 million in senior debt restructure; $90 million mezzanine financing; $20 million equity co-investment by affiliates of Starwood Hotels & Resorts and a long-term hotel management contract with Starwood.
Stuart also served as lead in-house counsel for:
- The $325 million acquisition of Mathena, Inc., a leading independent supplier of pressure control rental equipment for onshore oil and gas drilling operations.
- The $675 million acquisition of Seaboard International, an independent wellhead solutions provider focused on the growing North American unconventional oil and gas drilling and production markets.
- The $176 million acquisition of Novatech, LLC, a U.S. manufacturer of well service pump valves and valve seats for upstream oil and gas applications.
1 Prior firm representations.
News & Resources
April 3, 2020
SBA and Treasury Department Post Sample Paycheck Protection Program Application Form and Related Information on Websites
April 1, 2020
U.S. Small Business Administration offering Emergency Financing for Payroll and Other Expenses to Qualified Entities Suffering Substantial Economic Injury as a Result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 27, 2020
February 12, 2020
News & Press Mentions
November 17, 2017
March 1, 2017
Events & Speaking Engagements
September 26, 2018
September 26, 2018
September 27, 2017
September 27, 2017
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Closely Held Businesses
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Investment Funds
- Investment Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity