Austin’s practice is focused primarily on data privacy and security compliance, and related technology and information issues. He works with clients to develop privacy and security programs, privacy policies, and understand the legal/business risks related to the processing of personal and proprietary information, and other commercial and technology transactions. Austin leverages experience in both legal and business roles to create client-focused solutions, and has client and work experience across diverse industry verticals, and ranging from startups to multinationals, nonprofits, and government.
Austin regularly advises clients on compliance with GDPR, ePrivacy, CPRA/CCPA, FERPA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, HIPAA, COPPA, and other state, federal and international privacy/security laws. He has advised on and negotiated data protection, information security, and data transfer/standard contractual clause agreements, as well as media/advertising issues, product development, privacy-by-design, and data licensing. He has assisted on transactional due diligence, and advised clients through regulatory investigations, incident response and mitigation, and the development of comprehensive information security programs. He has also worked with clients in relation to the commercialization of personality rights in media and advertising.
- Advise on comprehensive GDPR, CPRA, and international privacy compliance programs for media, entertainment, and technology services clients.
- Advise on information security plans, technical security standards/procedures, and privacy policies.
- Prepare and negotiate data protection, security, joint controller, and data license agreements.
- Negotiate international data transfer agreements and advise on Standard Contractual Clause/Schrems II compliance.
- Advise on data rights compliance, fulfillment, and related systems requirements.
- Conducted privacy and information security risk assessments and data protection impact assessments.
- Counsel through HIPAA and privacy/security-related enforcement actions.
- Advise on privacy-by-design and privacy-compliant products, databases, and marketing workflows.
- Advise on security incident investigations, response, and individual/regulatory notifications.
- Prepare and negotiate software/SaaS licenses, and resale, development, and professional services agreements.
- Advise on due diligence matters related to privacy and intellectual property in corporate transactions.
- Prepare and negotiate trademark co-existence and license agreements.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Digital Health
- Emerging Companies
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising