His technical background and business savvy enable him to understand the challenges of today’s cyber world and evolving privacy regulations. Bob works collaboratively with clients to determine their regulatory obligations, evaluate risk tolerances, and find optimal solutions in the ever-evolving world of data collection, use, sharing and ultimately safe destruction.
Recognized by his peers as a thought leader in the areas of data security and privacy litigation, Bob serves as a member of the Sedona Conference Steering Committee for Working Group 11. Under his leadership, the Sedona Conference has published for public comment an Incident Response Guide, and he has led Sedona presentations to Working Group 11, as well as Sedona’s International Programme, on subjects including incident response, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California’s new Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
He represents clients in breach responses, development of privacy policies and procedures, and counsels corporate Boards of Directors and Audit Committees on matters of cybersecurity, privacy and information governance. Bob’s unique skill set comes from decades of experience as a trial lawyer, and he maintains an active trial docket in courts around the country. Even the best compliance practices can occasionally fall victim to skilled hackers. When (unfortunately not if) this occurs, Bob’s trial-honed ability to craft a compelling narrative that explains the client’s compliance efforts and commitment can mean the difference between constructive regulatory dialogue versus potentially crippling sanctions.
Bob is also a much-sought-after commentator and contributor to professional and journalistic coverage of cybersecurity issues, ranging from the New York Times and USA Today and numerous electronic media to various professional publications and blogs.
Click here to view Bob’s current events, speaking engagements and publications.
Education & Admissions
United States Naval Academy (B.S., Engineering), with Distinction
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.), with Honors; Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Minnesota Federal District Court
- Wisconsin Federal District Court
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Blockchain & Digital Assets
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Closely Held Businesses
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Insurance Law
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
Professional & Civic
- The Sedona Conference Working Group on Data Security and Privacy Liability, Working Group 11 – Steering Committee
- Previous Co-Chair, International Association of Privacy Professionals KnowledgeNet Chapter, Minneapolis-St. Paul
- Past President, numerous Bar Association Committees and Divisions
- Chairman of the Board, Ordway Center for the Performing Arts
- Minnesota State Cycling Champion – Road Race
- Minnesota State Cycling Champion – Criterium