His technical background enables him to understand the complex business challenges associated with today’s cyber world, and provide the strategic acumen to achieve success.
Bob’s decades of experience as a trial lawyer also enable his clients to achieve their business objectives if other means of resolution cannot be achieved. Bob has an active trial docket in courts around the country, where his innovative thinking, collaborative client approach, and keen strategic insights have provided his clients with a long string of successful verdicts and appeals. Under Bob’s leadership, Dorsey teams have helped our clients achieve precedent-setting results, especially in the complex area of constitutional challenges to government overreach.
Education & Admissions
United States Naval Academy (B.S., Engineering, 1972), with Distinction
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1975), with Honors
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Minnesota Federal District Court
- Wisconsin Federal District Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
Bob has represented numerous clients in breach responses, development of privacy policies and procedures, and provided counsel to corporate Boards of Directors, and Audit Committees on matters of cybersecurity, privacy and internal governance. Bob’s long history of interaction with key government agencies began with his service of the United States Department of Justice, Civil Division, which represents the interests of the United States and its agencies, including the CIA, FBI, Departments of State, Defense and Energy. His longstanding relationship with those agencies enables him to engage with key players on major cyber issues, and be the “go-to” attorney for all matters cyber.
Bob has significant experience defending consumer class actions, including Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) suits.
Bob is also a much-sought-after commentator and contributor to professional and journalistic coverage of cybersecurity issues, ranging from the New York Times and USA Today to numerous television media and the Sedona Conference Working Group 11 on cyber matters.
News & Resources
Events & Speaking Engagements
Select Client Presentations
- “Dorsey & Whitney LLP DorsEdiscovery Forum,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Seminar, January 28, 2015
- “Dorsey & Whitney LLP Cybersecurity Seminar,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Seminar, November 12, 2014
- “Company Computers Under Attack: Big Dollars and Private Data Are Being Stolen Every Day: What Are You Doing About It?”, Dorsey & Whitney LLP Webinar, June 26, 2014
- “Privacy & Technology Commerce,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Breakfast Briefing, March 12, 2014
- “Once More Into the Breach: Managing Risks When Your Company’s Data Has Been Compromised,” Dorsey & Whitney Corporate Counsel Symposium, 2013
- Numerous CLE presentations on Regulatory Litigation and Enforcement
Industries & Practices
- Closely Held Businesses
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Food & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Health Care
- Insurance Law
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Public-Private Project Development
Professional & Civic
- The Sedona Conference Working Group on Data Security and Privacy Liability, Working Group 11 (June 2015)
- The Sedona Conference All Voices Meeting (2014)
- Chairman of the Board, Ordway Center for the Performing Arts
- Co-Chair, International Association of Privacy Professionals KnowledgeNet Chapter, Minneapolis-St. Paul
- Past President, numerous Bar Association Committees and Divisions
- Minnesota State Cycling Champion – Road Race (2009)
- Minnesota State Cycling Champion – Criterium (2009)