Michael is a partner in Dorsey’s Tax Group. Michael is a dual qualified solicitor and a chartered accountant. He has extensive experience in both UK and international tax matters. Michael’s practice spans general corporate tax advice, transactions and corporate tax planning. He has wide experience designing both UK and cross-border tax efficient structures (particularly UK/US tax planning) and share incentive arrangements for both large organizations and startups. Michael’s experience includes a significant amount of M&A transactional work, especially in the technology and digital media areas, and also tax planning advice to entrepreneurs and entities both in the UK and cross-border. In Chambers 2014 Michael “receives widespread praise for his corporate tax expertise, particularly his international capabilities”. Clients note that he is“conscientious and would explain the complex areas to us in terms we understood”.
- Advising a number of US corporations on the structuring of a tax efficient reorganisation prior to their listing on AIM, including advice on restructuring their employee share incentive arrangements
- Acting for Langholm Capital on the financing and acquisition of Tyrells Potato Crisps
- Advising Orbotech Ltd. in connection with its $370 million acquisition of SPTS Technologies Group Limited
- Advising Quindell Plc on the £640 million sale of its legal services division.
- Advising Towergate Group on a £14 million MBO of John Charcol and other financial planning businesses.
- Advising Portland PR on the sale of a majority stake to Omnicom Group
- Advising a US/European Group on a tax efficient reorganisation of its European operations.
- Advising on the tax aspects of a number of private company acquisitions and disposals in the technology sector, including pre-sale planning and structuring earn outs
- Advising a Jersey based private equity fund on the tax efficient structuring of investments in various European countries
- Advising on the structuring and establishment of a worldwide joint venture for the exploitation of music publishing rights
- Advising on the structure and establishment of various funds, including European Real Estate Fund and a Mezzanine Debt Fund
- Advising an NHS Trust on issues relating to the correct characterisation of medical consultants for tax purposes, including negotiations with HMRC