Prior to joining Dorsey, Tim was an associate at two large, national law firms in New York, where he represented and defended numerous media, television, and interactive entertainment companies in a broad range of intellectual property, right of publicity, privacy, and First Amendment litigation in state and federal courts across the country.
Earlier in his career, Tim worked in the legal and business affairs departments of two multinational news media organizations, where he advised writers, producers, reporters, and editors on intellectual property, defamation, newsgathering, and privacy matters; was responsible for pre-publication review of editorial and branded digital content; and drafted and negotiated a variety of commercial contracts, agreements, and releases.
Education & Admissions
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2018),
- Dean’s List
- Privacy Fellow, Center on Law and Information Policy
- Associate editor, Fordham Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal
Loyola University, New Orleans (B.S., 2012), magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- Not admitted in Minnesota.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Draft, negotiate, and review a variety of commercial contracts, intellectual property licensing agreements, media licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, marketing services agreements, employment agreements, and other contracts.
- Successfully defended numerous major media, television, streaming, and video game companies on First Amendment grounds in content-related litigation, including copyright, trademark, right of publicity, defamation, and privacy claims.
- Counseled content creators and distributors on First Amendment, right of publicity, privacy, copyright, trademark, defamation, newsgathering, reporters’ privilege, rights and clearances, and other legal issues.
- Pre-publication review of scripts, feature films, television shows, video games, editorial content, and advertising.
- Advised on advertising substantiation, claim clearance, sweepstakes, contests, and other advertising matters.
- Represented investigative journalist in pro bono lawsuit seeking judicial review of denial of FOIA records request.
Industries & Practices
- Creative Industries
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
Professional & Civic
- Counseled non-profit entities on copyright and trademark matters.
- Represent and counsel, on a pro bono basis, freelance journalists in newsgathering, First Amendment, and FOIA litigation.
- Tim is a classically trained jazz musician.