NATHAN HELPS CLIENTS NAVIGATE COMPLEX FEDERAL SECURITIES AND TAX LAWS AND CLOSE SUCCESSFUL FINANCINGS.
Nathan represents public and private sector clients across the country in a wide variety of tax-exempt and taxable financings. He serves as underwriter's counsel, special tax counsel, bond counsel, borrower's counsel and issuer's counsel.
He regularly advises clients on tax-exempt leasing matters and has broad experience with conduit financings for health care systems, assisted living facilities, charter schools and other 501(c)(3) organizations. He also represents numerous counties, cities and school districts throughout the State of Minnesota in traditional revenue and general obligation bond financings, and assists other clients with financings for infrastructure and real estate development projects, professional sports stadiums, hotels and convention centers and even social service delivery programs.
In addition to his financing work, Nathan also represents several non-profit entities on a pro bono basis. His pro bono work primarily involves the formation and governance of non-profit entities and the obtaining and maintaining of tax-exempt status.
Education & Admissions
Drake University Law School (J.D., 2013), High Honors; Drake Law Review; Business Law Certificate; CALI Awards – Securities Regulation and Nonprofit Entities
Drake University (M.B.A., 2013)
Weber State University (B.A., 2009), Dean’s List
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $498,225,000 Housing and Redevelopment Authority of the City of Saint Paul, Minnesota, Health Care Facilities Revenue Refunding Bonds (HealthPartners Obligated Group), Series 2015AB
- Bond Counsel – $407,205,000 Ward County, North Dakota Hospital Facility Revenue [Refunding] Bonds (Trinity Obligated Group), Series 2017ABC
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $212,180,000 South Dakota Health and Educational Facilities Authority Revenue Bonds, Series 2017 (Regional Health)
- Issuer’s Counsel – $150,000,000 Allina Health Taxable Bonds Series 2017
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $16,200,000 Utah Charter School Finance Authority Charter School Revenue Refunding Bonds (Early Light Academy Project) Series 2017
- Bond and Borrower’s Counsel – $78,515,000 City of Minneapolis and The Housing and Redevelopment Authority of the City of Saint Paul, Minnesota Health Care System Revenue Refunding Bonds, Series 2017A (Allina Health)
- Special Tax Counsel – $2,883,500 Kansas Development Finance Authority Revenue Bonds, Series 2017B (Kansas State University Energy Conservation Projects – Salina Campus)
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $42,245,000 Colorado Health Facilities Authority Hospital Revenue Refunding Bonds (Valley View Hospital Association Project) Series 2017A
- Issuer’s Counsel – $23,810,000 Southern Minnesota Municipal Power Agency Power Supply System Revenue Bonds, Series 2017 A
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $176,315,000 South Dakota Health and Educational Facilities Authority, Revenue Bonds, Series 2015 (Sanford)
- Special Tax Counsel – State of California Department of General Services
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $6,340,000 Law Enforcement District of the Parish of Tensas, State of Louisiana, Detention Center Revenue Bonds, Series 2017ABCD
- Underwriter’s Counsel – $6,670,000 Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development Charter School Revenue Bonds (Harambee Institute of Science and Technology Charter School Project), Series 2017AB
- Bond Counsel – $119,025,000 Special School District No. 1 (Minneapolis), Minnesota, General Obligation [School Building Bonds] [Long-Term Facilities Maintenance Bonds] [Full Term Certificates of Participation], Series 2017ABC
- Underwriter’s counsel – $264,380,000 Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Airports Commission, Subordinate Airport Revenue Refunding Bonds, Series 2014A and Series 2014B
- Counsel to financial and legal intermediary in Salt Lake County, Utah, Pay-for-Success initiatives
News & Resources
- Greening the Traditional Commercial Lease: Building a Case for Sustainable Commercial Real Estate through Economically Profitable Green Leases, 61 Drake L. Rev. 883 (Spring 2013)
Industries & Practices
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Latin America
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Project Development & Finance
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships