MATT PROVIDES STRATEGIC, PRACTICAL ADVICE TO CLIENTS IN CONNECTION WITH REGULATORY AND TRANSACTIONAL MATTERS IMPLICATING THE INVESTMENT COMPANY ACT OF 1940 AND INVESTMENT ADVISERS ACT OF 1940 AS WELL AS RELATED TO ISSUES AFFECTING BROKER-DEALERS, BANKS AND OTHER SERVICE PROVIDERS TO INVESTMENT ADVISERS AND INVESTMENT FUNDS.
Matt represents financial institutions in transactional and regulatory matters with a focus on investment advisers, registered public funds, private investment funds, banks, and broker-dealers, implementing a variety of investment strategies and offering diverse financial products, or services. In various in-house roles, and in private practice at prior firms, Matt has been responsible for providing legal counsel relating to fund formation, registration and the day-to-day operation of investment advisers. Matt’s has expertise in ETFs and mutual funds, separately managed account programs and turn key asset management platforms, as well as with respect to broker-dealer activities, under the Federal securities laws, SRO rules and other relevant laws, including ERISA. In addition, he has provided strategic counsel to executive managers relating to corporate governance, human resources, operational and accounting matters, intellectual property and disputes.
- Counseled client concerning registered, exchange listed closed-end fund structures, including leveraged closed-end funds utilizing swaps, options and forwards to gain desired exposure, as well as in connection with interval fund tender offers.
- Counseled client concerning registered fund of hedge funds, in connection with on-going transactional matters, board governance, and regulatory and taxation considerations.
- Represented independent board members to an ETF fund complex focused on dividend growth investing and an ETF focused on replicating the risk-adjusted return characteristics of hedge funds.
- Supported a dedicated managed account platform in customizing single investor funds as a mechanism through which to invest in hedge funds, providing greater control, transparency and governance of hedge fund investments.
- Supported the development of a dedicated managed account distribution platform including as related to client documentation, disclosure and obtaining regulatory approval from FINRA and the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Counseled one of the major corporate trustees of unit investment trusts in connection with fiduciary matters relating to unit investment trust administration.
- Supported a global regulatory services provider as lead counsel in numerous key ETF launches, including the first fixed-income ETFs, the first India ETF, as well as early actively managed ETFs, and leveraged and inverse ETFs. Work included establishment of wholly-owned controlled subsidiaries organized in the Republic or Mauritius and the Cayman Islands, through which exposure to certain securities was obtained.
- Provided counsel to fund administrator and regulatory services provider in facilitating the conversion of a hedge fund into an open-end mutual fund taking into consideration leverage, diversification, liquidity and commodity exposure, and seeking to retain prior hedge fund performance.
- Managed multiple proxy solicitations for a large mutual fund complex.
- Provided counsel in connection with the acquisitions of asset management businesses, in several transactions.
- Advised global financial services institution on collateral consequences of global regulatory settlement, including as related to DOJ and SEC enforcement proceedings.
- Advised a fund sponsor in establishing a significant separate account with a sovereign wealth fund for investment in U.S. real estate.
- Advised several foreign investment advisers on U.S. securities law relating to broker-dealer and investment adviser registration.
News & Resources
January 13, 2020
December 3, 2019
SEC Publishes Risk Alert with Observations from Examinations of Mutual Funds, Money Market Funds, and Target Date Funds
November 12, 2019
November 7, 2019
SEC to Discuss Proxy Adviser Regulation and Resubmission Thresholds for Shareholder Proposals at November 5, 2019 Open Meeting
October 31, 2019
October 17, 2019
September 30, 2019
News & Press Mentions
December 3, 2019
October 17, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Corporate Trust Services
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Foreign Banks and Financial Institutions
- Investment Funds
- Investment Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement