Michael is a trial associate in Dorsey’s Minneapolis office. As a member of the Government Enforcement and Corporate Investigations group, Michael’s practice focuses on assisting clients with internal investigations as well as state and federal investigations. Through this practice, Michael has helped clients successfully navigate investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys’ offices, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, among other agencies.
In addition, Michael maintains a robust white-collar practice, and he has extensive experience litigating cases involving financial fraud and Ponzi schemes. Michael is experienced representing parties of every stripe in these fraud cases, having represented victims, the accused, and alleged co-conspirators.
Michael also performs significant state and federal appellate work. Michael first developed a passion for appellate litigation when he clerked for Judge Michael J. Melloy of the U.S. Court of the Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and this experience has proved invaluable at Dorsey where Michael has worked on client appeals before the Third Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Ninth Circuit, and Minnesota Supreme Court.
To round out his practice, Michael regularly provides pro bono services to indigent criminal defendants in federal court.
Education & Admissions
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with High Distinction, 2016), Order of the Coif; Boyd Service Award (High Honors); Managing Editor, Iowa Law Review
University of Utah (B.S., 2013)
University of Utah (B.A., 2013)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Honorable Michael J. Melloy, 2016-2017
- Representing victim of Ponzi scheme in U.S. Tax Court case concerning theft-loss deductions.
- Representing company, a victim of a coordinated extortion and defamation scheme, in state and federal actions against perpetrators of that scheme.
- Defended financial institution against allegations that it aided and abetted a Ponzi scheme conducted by one of its customers.
- Defended company accused of counterfeiting goods in violation of the Lanham Act.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Healthcare Litigation
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Editor for Dorsey’s FCA Now blog, https://dorseyfca.com/, which tracks developments and enforcement trends surrounding the False Claims Act.