In his government enforcement and corporate investigations practice, Sam conducts effective internal investigations and represents those under investigation or facing enforcement actions by federal or state authorities. He has conducted investigations across four continents, interviewed CEOs and company presidents, and defended his clients against nefarious business partners. He is a constructive problem-solver to avoid litigation, but uses his years of experience in litigation and as a judicial clerk to secure a winning position for his clients in civil lawsuits and government enforcement actions.
Sam is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional with the International Association of Privacy Professionals. He provides sophisticated solutions in the complex fields of cybersecurity and data privacy, guiding clients through ever-changing privacy laws and internet regulations. He assists with the nuanced challenges of data breaches, privacy policies, and handling sensitive information, whether it be personal, public, or corporate. He provides advice and compliance support to businesses, government entities, and non-profits, particularly regarding state and federal public open records laws including the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and the federal Freedom of Information Act. He writes actively on cybersecurity issues and his work has been quoted in industry publications.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2015), magna cum laude
University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A. in English, Certificate in Business, 2012), Comprehensive Honors
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Minnesota Supreme Court, Honorable David L. Lillehaug, 2016-2017
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Honorable David S. Doty, 2015-2016
- Represented companies subject to federal criminal and civil enforcement actions, subpoenas, and Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) issued by the Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices, and federal agencies.
- Investigated the theft of intellectual property, clients, and employees by the former president of a company with more than $10 billion in assets under management for ultra-high net worth families.
- Investigated an international fraudulent scheme that had lasted more than a decade between four companies across three continents.
- Managed international data breaches and recovered personal information resulting from phishing scams and former employees.
- Successfully represented companies subject to political efforts to publish their confidential intellectual property under the guise of the Freedom of Information Act.
News & Resources
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement