Paul helps clients navigate complex regulatory matters.
Paul draws on his previous experience in shaping legislation and regulations as a Senior Counsel in the U.S. House of Representatives to assist clients in achieving their business goals in heavily regulated industries. This primarily includes representation of clients in energy, environmental, natural resources, and land use matters. In the energy space, Paul advises investor-owned utilities, cooperatives, and renewable energy developers in matters before state utility boards and federal regulators, as well as transactional matters. In Paul’s environmental and natural resources practice, he helps clients navigate environmental review, project permitting, and approval, as well as assisting clients with environmental due diligence and contract drafting in acquisitions. Paul also represents private developers and municipal governments in land use approvals.
- Assist investor-owned utility in state utility board proceedings, including approval of cost recovery for a 150 MW wind farm.
- Advise multi-state electric cooperative on compliance with complex Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state regulations relating to electricity generation, transmission, and interconnection.
- Represent large electric industry client in arbitration of a dispute over an electric service contract.
- Advise state university client on renegotiation of electric service contract.
- Represent local government sponsor of multi-billion dollar regional flood control project, including in appeals of permitting decisions in state court and before the state Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Advise mineral development client on mineral tenure, lease renewal rights, environmental review, and project permitting.
- Conduct environmental due diligence for acquisition of 200 MW and 260 MW wind farms.
- Review historical environmental documentation and draft contract language to protect client from environmental liability in real estate acquisition.
- Obtain land use approvals from Twin Cities metro area planning commissions and city councils for various clients including large hotel chain, local recycling company, and private landowners.
- Conduct land use due diligence for acquisition of a portfolio of several retail properties in the Twin Cities.
- Assist municipal client in drafting RFP and contract for citywide waste collection services.
News & Resources
January 17, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Real Estate & Land Use