Aaron focuses his practice on U.S. and foreign patent strategy, preparation and prosecution in a wide variety of technology areas. In addition to patent procurement and portfolio management, Aaron advises clients in the areas of patentability, patent validity, patent infringement, IP due diligence, IP licensing, and pre-litigation counseling.
Before practicing law, Aaron was a senior electrical engineer for a large aerospace and defense company where he worked on wideband communication systems. He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Education & Admissions
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., 2003), Named William H. Leary Scholar; First prize, Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition
University of Utah (B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1996), cum laude, Departmental Scholarship, Award for Outstanding Contribution to a Senior Project Team (Antennas), President's Award for Outstanding Achievement
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Represented large and small technology companies to develop worldwide patent estates. Experience includes preparation and prosecution of U.S. and international patents, patent portfolio management and strategic counseling.
- Represented a medical device company in creating a patent portfolio of U.S. and foreign patents, and defended IP due diligence during financing for $8 million that resulted in spinning-off of a portion of the portfolio into a new company.
- Prepared and managed a patent portfolio including hundreds of patent applications for a Fortune 100 company in areas such as music/video streaming and LTE/5G cellular communications.
- Assisted a worldwide leader in laser processing systems to build and manage a successful international patent portfolio.
- Successfully obtained a series of issued patents during litigation, which helped lead to a favorable settlement of the lawsuit for the client.
- Provided many start-up companies with freedom-to-operate opinions, noninfringement and invalidity opinions, and guidance regarding designing around a competitor’s patents.
- Areas of patent counseling include laser processing systems, communication systems, medical devices, software, semiconductor devices, alternative energy systems, power line fault detection systems, consumer electronic devices, database management systems, Internet commerce and interactive television broadcast systems.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Electric Power
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
- Included in Utah Business Legal Elite, listed since 2011
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Patent Law), 2014–2022
- Listed among Rising Stars (Intellectual Property), Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2009–2010, 2012–2013
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management’s IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2017–2020
- Member, Intellectual Property Section of Utah State Bar, 2006–2022
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association, 2006–2015
- Subcommittee liaison, computer software, Idaho Innovation Awards, 2006, 2014; consumer software, Utah Innovation Awards, 2007–2010
- Judge, Utah Giles Rich Moot Court Competition, Intellectual Property Section of Utah State Bar, 2007–2010
- Mentor, Opportunity Quest Team for the University of Utah Business Innovation Competition by the Pierre Lassonde Entrepreneur Center of the David Eccles School of Business, 2010