Tessa helps clients protect and take advantage of their intellectual property rights through strategic advice and advocacy.
Tessa has experience in the protection, development, enforcement and management of IP rights from her time as an IP and Litigation solicitor in New Zealand. She advises on contentious, non-contentious, and transactional IP matters, ranging from trademarks to copyright and domain names.
Tessa advises on IP aspects of mergers and acquisitions, assists clients with the management and prosecution of their IP portfolios, and places importance on client relationships and clear communication. She provides practical advice tailored to clients’ business needs and has done so for large clients in the FMCG, construction, entertainment, pharmaceutical, and other industries.
Tessa has worked in litigation and dispute resolution before IP courts and the High Court of New Zealand.
- Managing evidence for proceedings before New Zealand's IP court involving multiple trade mark oppositions for an overseas client
- IP due diligence for a large mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare, construction and hospitality sectors
- Overcoming a range of objections by the IP Office to key trade mark applications for NZX-listed client, involving registrability submissions and settlements with other parties
- Co-ordinating trade mark application portfolios for large clients across multiple jurisdictions including Asia, Europe, the Middle East and South America, involving advice, prosecution and responses to objections from overseas IP offices
- Advising a large international bank on the merits of an responses to an investigation into breaches of consumer finance regulations
- Co-ordinating and completing IP assignment and licensing projects for nuanced arrangements between large companies and their subsidiaries
- Advising on and contributing to a range of general commercial disputes including contract law, construction law, property law, financial markets and insolvency
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising