Bob has 20+ years of experience handling employment-based immigration matters, including H-1B, TN, L-1, O-1, and other non-immigrant visa categories, as well as PERM labor certification and PERM-exempt processing for both large and small employers, including high volume petitioners, in a wide variety of industries.
Bob recognizes that in the current political and policy environment, clients seek lawyers who are up-to-date on effective strategies and solutions, combining both subject matter expertise and best-in-class process and project management skills. Bob works closely with diverse team members in all U.S. time zones to deliver positive results in a responsive, creative, and cost-competitive way.
- Bob has substantial experience working with academic health centers, regional health systems, and hospitals on U.S. visa strategies for physicians, researchers, and allied health professionals. He uses an efficient team approach to handling complex and time-sensitive projects including J-1 waivers pursuant to the Conrad 30 program, H-1Bs pursuant to the national renown standard, O-1s, and permanent resident strategies through both PERM and PERM-exempt immigrant visa categories, including EB-1(A), EB-1(B), and EB-2 NIW – both Matter of Dhanasar and P-NIW.
- Throughout his 20+ year career, Bob has also successfully obtained H-1B, PERM, I-140, and I-485 approvals for many large and small employers in a variety of industries. Bob’s success includes obtaining visas for clients in IT/technical roles in the face of heightened adjudication standards and evolving considerations at USCIS. He regularly consults clients on issues related to retention of priority dates and the development of strategies to upgrade (or even downgrade) filings based on visa bulletin cut-off dates.
- Bob has represented many international companies entering the U.S. market to transfer key personnel through L-1, E-2, and O-1 visas. This work has included successful registration of a client through the Golden Arrow program at the U.S. consulate in Paris for fast-track processing of E-2 visas.
- Since Matter of Dhanasar was issued in December 2016, Bob and his team have handled dozens of successful EB-2 NIW filings, for both organizations (large and small) and self-petitioners in a wide range of fields including health care, life sciences, bioinformatics, medical technology, various engineering disciplines, IT/software, economics, public policy, and other social sciences. Bob has used EB-2 NIW and O-1 and EB-1 successfully to overcome the annual challenges of the H-1B cap.
- Bob and his team have obtained EB-2 NIW Matter of Dhanasar approvals for entrepreneurs and others engaged in business management and job creation, as well as O-1 and EB-1(A) approvals for many physician/researchers, R&D engineers, and diverse individuals such as an Italian bread maker, a Chinese industrial designer, a Canadian bird dog trainer, and a chess master from Latin America.
- Bob and his team have experience successfully obtaining R-1 and I-360 religious worker visas for religious organizations, including two national campus ministry organizations.
- Further, Bob and his team have handled several 319(b) fast-track naturalization cases. And for individuals not eligible for 319(b) naturalization, Bob has diligently and creatively handled naturalization processing for executives and others who seek U.S. citizenship but face extensive travel outside the United States for business.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Update on Investment-Based Immigration Strategies," Minnesota State Bar Association, November 22, 2019
- Speaker, "CLE: Recent Trends in Employment-Based Immigration," Dorsey & Whitney, Minneapolis, September 23, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Labor & Employment
Professional & Civic
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), including prior leadership roles in the MN/Dakotas chapter and service on national committees of AILA.
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), including service as a co-chair of the NAPABA immigration committee (2018-2019).
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association (MN-APABA)-Vice President of Communications, including service as a member of the Advisory Board.
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), including service as Chair of the Immigration Law Section and New Lawyers Section.