Joan’s experience in real estate includes representing sellers and buyers of real estate and advising on commercial building leases. Her participation in commercial transactions includes representing buyers and sellers of businesses and separate assets within businesses and raising private capital. Her work in finance includes representing borrowers and lenders in real estate financing and lenders’ issues with the personal property offered in non-real estate commercial financing.
Because Alaska's economy is mostly based on natural resources, Joan has specific commercial experience with mining and fishing transactions. In particular, she has extensive experience with hard rock mining projects.
Joan’s practice areas frequently overlap in a community the size of Anchorage. As an outgrowth of her extensive experience in real estate and financing, she has advised municipalities on real estate acquisition and leasing including related land use and permitting issues. The combination of representing buyers of businesses and hard rock mining projects leads to advising shareholders and limited liability company members on entity governance issues.
Prior to joining Dorsey, Joan was a partner at K&L Gates from 1992-2017. She also previously served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Alaska and was in private practice.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Closely Held Businesses
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Oil & Gas
- Project Development & Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Alaska, Real Estate, 2005-2020
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for Municipal Law, Anchorage (2017 and 2019)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in Corporate Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Municipal Law, Real Estate Law, 2007-2020
- Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Anchorage, AK by Super Lawyers, 2011-2019
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers