Tiana works on a wide range of commercial litigation matters, but her focus on real estate, construction and design, government contracting, and intellectual property litigation in state and federal courts.
As a senior member of Dorsey’s real estate, construction and design team, she leads teams handling complex real estate-related disputes for property owners, developers, investors, tenants, lenders, joint ventures and public-private partnerships, and many other parties in and out of court. Tiana also has experience representing clients in government contracting matters and bid protest actions. The third leg of Tiana’s practice involves intellectual property litigation, specifically trademark, copyright, and advertising disputes, in state and federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Tiana maintains an active pro bono practice representing indigent criminal defendants, providing criminal expungement services, and representing clients in civil rights matters. Tiana has also served as a prosecutor for the City of Minneapolis and currently serves as a referee for the Minnesota District Court in Chisago County.
Education & Admissions
Howard University School of Law (J.D., 2014), Bryant Moore Co-Chair, Charles Hamilton Houston National Moot Court Team; Student Attorney, Howard University Trademark and Intellectual Property Clinic
University of California at Riverside (B.A., Psychology/Law and Society, 2010), with Honors
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
Construction, Real Estate, and Government Contracting
- Represented retail property manager to obtain temporary restraining order preventing contractor from removing fixtures and total shutdown of the shopping mall.
- Represented a commercial tenant in breach of lease dispute in 2-week bench trial.
- Currently representing a commercial property owner in multi-party easement dispute.
- Currently representing subcontractor in complex multi-party dispute involving construction defect and delay claims on an accelerated track with the three-week hearing scheduled just six months after the filing of the statement of claim.
- Representing a water utility company in a dispute caused by a private developer’s damage to a 100-year-old brick masonry sewer.
- Counsels clients on all aspects of construction and design matters, including contract negotiation and interpretation, project financing agreements, dispute avoidance, claim development, expert retention and coordination, insurance recovery, and mechanics' liens.
- Advises healthcare client in bid protest actions and with government contracting concerns.
- Advises commercial landlords and tenants in all aspects of leasing, including representation of big box retail tenants, institutional office landlords, and mid-market retail users.
- Represented a performing arts company in weeks-long jury trial. Result: Company not liable for multiple negligence claims, avoiding over $3 million dollars in liability.
- Represented an individual trustee in week-long bench trial defending claims of breach of fiduciary duty claims in complex family trust dispute. Result: Complete defense judgment.
- Representing pharmacy benefits manager in multiple class action lawsuits involving claims for benefits, prohibited transactions, and breaches of fiduciary duty based upon alleged fiduciary breaches, disloyalty, and prohibited transactions in receipt of “spread” from pharmacies. In Re UnitedHealth Group PBM Litigation, No. 16-cv-3352, 2016 U.S. Dist. Minnesota; and In Re Cigna Corporation PBM Litigation, No. 16-cv-1702, 2016 U.S. Dist. Connecticut.
- In re Medtronic, Inc. Shareholder Litigation: Represented board in lawsuit seeking to enjoin Medtronic’s proposed acquisition of Covidien. Result: Injunction denied and case dismissed.
- Bushansky v. OneBeacon Insurance (U.S. Dist. Minn): Represented defendants in litigation challenging Intact Financial Corp.’s $1.7 billion purchase of OneBeacon Insurance. Plaintiffs withdrew their motion for a preliminary injunction and dismissed their securities fraud claims with prejudice prior to the shareholder vote.
- FINRA arbitrations. Counsel for major broker-dealer firm in numerous customer and industry arbitrations.
- Webster v. Daniels, Case No. 14-1049 (7th Cir. May 1, 2015): Pro bono counsel for intellectually disabled federal prisoner seeking review of death sentence under 28 U.S.C. 2241. Member of team that obtained a favorable ruling from the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, sitting en banc, in high-profile death penalty matter.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representing an aviation company in claims of trademark infringement in federal court and defending opposition action brought by same entity before the TTAB.
- Representing health insurance company and self-funded employee benefit plans in class action claims and counterclaims alleging benefits due and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Girl Scouts of the United States of America v. Boy Scouts of America, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Representing Girl Scouts USA in a suit against Boy Scouts of America for trademark infringement, dilution, tortious interference and related unfair competition claims.
- Cirrus Aviation Services, LLC v. Cirrus Design Corporation, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada. Sole associate on team representing the owner of a registered uncontestable mark in trademark infringement claim under the Lanham act. Tiana has worked on all aspects of the case drafting the initial cease and desist letter sent in 2014, and counseling and assisting client with its application to obtain a federal trademark registration.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research v. Mark Taheri, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2016. Obtained consent judgment requiring defendant to change its MAYO DENTAL name.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "How to Take and Defend Depositions in the Time of COVID-19,” Minnesota CLE, March 2021
- Presenter, Real Estate Institute, “Drafting and Enforcing Remedy Provisions For Commercial Landlords,” November 2018
- Presenter, “False Advertising and Product Disparagement,” September 2016
- Presenter, Springboard For the Arts, “Copyright Law for Creative Professionals,” April 2016
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Design
- Construction Litigation
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
- Contributed more than 50 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020
- Named "Minneapolis Ones to Watch" in Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers®, 2021
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2014-2020
- 2019 ABA Construction Forum Scholarship Recipient
- 2020 LCLD Pathfinder Program
- May 2020 Attorney At Law, Attorney of the Month / Lawyer of the Next Generation