Before joining Dorsey, Yulie practiced law in the Greater Los Angeles Area for over eight years. Yulie has tremendous hands-on experience in a wide array of commercial litigation matters, including disputes involving unfair business practices, trade secrets, fraud, employment matters and shareholder disputes. She frequently represents clients in state and federal courts in the U.S., and has litigated a number of cases in courtrooms all the way through trials and verdicts.
As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, Yulie uses her language and bicultural skills to represent Chinese businesses and investors in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and corporate transactions. Yulie regularly advises her clients on legal issues affecting typical business operations on all fronts based on California law. She serves as outside legal counsel for businesses in a wide range of industries, including several leading Hollywood production services companies and movie studios.
- Defended a Chinese privately owned wastewater treatment company in a breach of contract action involving a stock purchase agreement brought by a NSADAQ listed publicly traded company; case settled for less than 4% of the original demand with full release
- Represented Chinese national in a fraud/conversion case against Chinese nationals and a major bank in the U.S., following a 5-day bench trial, obtained favorable judgment for client; settled with the bank on favorable terms for client in early stage of litigation
- Represented a HKSE listed public company in a contract dispute with a California tech-startup company arising out of a software development agreement, successfully deterred the filing of complaint by the opposing side; case settled for a fraction of the original demand
- Represented employees who left their company to work for competitors and were sued by former employer for misappropriation of trade secrets; successfully defended employer’s ex parte motion for temporary restraining order
Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Advised The Coca-Cola Company with respect to the complex reorganization of Coca-Cola Bottlers Manufacturing Holdings Limited (“CCBMH”). CCBMH, a joint venture entity founded by The Coca Cola Company (through two subsidiaries) and subsidiaries of Swire Group and COFCO (China’s largest state-owned food and agriculture company), through multiple subsidiaries provides preparation and packaging operations in relation to Coca Cola’s still beverages business across Mainland China. On completion of the transaction, Coca-Cola’s bottling system for still beverages in Mainland China will be transferred to the Swire Group and COFCO.
- Acting as outside general counsel of one of the largest Hollywood studios, handled their commercial office leases and stage licenses with leading production companies such as Disney, Lucas Film, HBO, etc.
- Represented Chinese high net worth individuals in acquiring a U.S. manufacturer of precision measuring tools (in business for over 58 years)
- Represented one of the largest studio-based production equipment companies in Hollywood in connection with a series of strategic asset acquisitions of grip and lighting equipment businesses all over the U.S.
- Represented purchaser in acquiring a local restaurant in Los Angeles including the real property and Alcohol Beverage Control license
- Assisted a NYSE-listed public company in the education field in its contemplated acquisition of a San Jose based technology startup
- Represented the seller of a distributor of auto accessories (“Target”) in the sale of 100% of the outstanding equity interest of the Target to a Chinese buyer (“Buyer”), and produced a legal opinion letter and updated legal opinion letters regarding the Target required for the IPO of the Buyer in China
- Represented a Chinese wastewater treatment company in an attempted purchase of 60% equity interest of a Delaware company that has exclusive contractual right to process landfill gas from four landfills in Brazil, and conducted due diligence of the target, reviewed extensive project documents relating to landfills in Brazil, and negotiated terms with the Delaware company
News & Resources
Industries & Practices
- Closely Held Businesses
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate & Land Use