Thomas O. Kelly, III
TOM HELPS HIS CLIENTS ADDRESS PROBLEMS INVOLVING DISTRESSED CREDIT SITUATIONS, RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGE FINANCE AND OTHER BANKRUPTCY AND COMMERCIAL LENDING MATTERS.
Tom is Of Counsel and former co-chair of Dorsey’s Finance and Restructuring Practice Group. His practice focuses on representing creditors in bankruptcy and out-of-court restructurings and representing providers of mortgage warehouse finance facilities. Prior to his return to law practice in 2008, Tom was the Senior Credit Officer for Default Management for GMAC-RFC’s warehouse lending and correspondent loan purchase businesses. Tom also has extensive experience in all forms of commercial finance, including leveraged acquisitions, asset-based financings, syndicated lending facilities, subordination agreements, purchases and sales of financial assets, and other credit-related transactions.
- Represented SUPERVALU INC. in restructuring $2.5 billion bank credit facilities.
- Represents Lighthouse Management, as general receiver, in connection with a receivership sale of a biomass power plant in Benson, MN.
- Represents Portigon AG, f/k/a West LB, in defending a Ponzi scheme claw-back action in the Petters bankruptcy case.
- Represented U.S. Bank National Association in connection with the collapse of Denny Hecker’s auto dealership network, including Hecker’s personal bankruptcy and the bankruptcy of Advantage Rent-a-Car.
- Represented U.S. Bank in the successful out-of-court liquidation of Opus Northwest, a major real estate owner and developer.
- Represented U.S. Bank in the liquidation of various mortgage warehouse and servicing customers in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented U.S. Bank in the bankruptcy of The Dolan Company.
- Represents various Dorsey corporate clients, including Apogee Enterprises, Inc., Pella Corporation and Christopher and Banks, in connection with bank credit facilities.
- Represented U.S. Bank, as Agent, in connection with syndicated credit facilities to Polaris Industries, Inc. and McGladrey, LLP.
- Represents Heartland Financial and its member banks in a variety of credit and regulatory matters, including the acquisition of Freedom Bank as part of the liquidation of River Valley Bancorp.
- Represented various clients in the settlement of repurchase and indemnity claims made by Fannie Mae.
- Represents U.S. Bank in connection with numerous mortgage warehouse Master Repurchase Agreements.
News & Resources
March 28, 2016
August 18, 2015
February 6, 2015
June 10, 2014
November 19, 2013
July 24, 2013
October 6, 2008
News & Press Mentions
September 19, 2022
October 14, 2020
October 3, 2019
July 29, 2019
December 21, 2018
August 29, 2018
54 Dorsey Lawyers in Minneapolis Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 and 2019 Lawyers of the Year
August 15, 2018
April 18, 2016
January 28, 2016
Events & Speaking Engagements
Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Webinar Playback: Bank Counsel Roundtable: SEC’s Proposed Fund Regulations: Solutions in Search of a Problem
Wednesday, February 22, 2023
September 27, 2021
December 8, 2020
April 30, 2019
October 4, 2018
Seminar Playback: Alternatives to Bankruptcy: What Lenders Should Consider When Their Borrower Defaults
October 4, 2018
- Panel Chair, "The State of the United States Banking System," 2015 Minnesota Real Estate Journal Real Estate Capital Markets Conference – April 30, 2015
- "Warehouse Lending from A to Z – Part Two," Mortgage Bankers Association (Webinar) – March 31, 2015
- "Warehouse Lending from A to Z – Part One," Mortgage Bankers Association (Webinar) – March 24, 2015
- "Credit Risk Retention: The Brave New World of Securitization" (with Charles Sawyer), Bank Counsel Roundtable Presentation – October 28, 2014
- "What Every Lawyer Should Know About Bankruptcy," Dorsey U – June 18, 2014
- "6 Things Every Business Lawyer Should Know About Dodd-Frank," 2014 Business Law Institute – May 5, 2014
- "What Every Lawyer Should Know About Articles 8 and 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code," Dorsey U - March 4, 2014
- "Partnership and LLC Issues in Bankruptcy," 2013 Bankruptcy Institute - October 8 & 9, 2013
Industries & Practices
Financial Services RegulatoryExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Bankruptcy & Financial RestructuringExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Corporate Trust Services
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Lending Transactions
- Mortgage Banking
Professional & Civic
- Co-Chair, UCC and Commercial Finance Committee of the Business Law Section, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2008-present
- Board of Director, Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Minnesota Chapter
- Member, Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Center of the American Experiment
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Senior Fellow and Director, 2009-13
- Candidate, Attorney General of the State of Minnesota, 2002