Josh works with clients in a variety of industries to aid them in navigating complex regulatory issues, including environmental, energy, and land use matters. Josh’s environmental and land use practice includes advising clients in enforcement matters, project permitting and approval, and environmental due diligence in business transactions. In his energy practice, Josh advises investor-owned utilities and cooperatives on both state and federal compliance issues.
Josh also maintains an active pro bono practice, representing a tribal community in child welfare proceedings pursuant to the Indian Child Welfare Act.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2019),
- cum laude
- Note and Comment Editor, Minnesota Law Review
- Charles Nauen and Pati Jo Pofahl Environmental & Energy Law Student Award
- Stinson Leonard Street Law Review Award
Rutgers University (B.S., Ecology, Evolution, & Natural Resources, 2014),
- summa cum laude
- G. H. Cook Honors Scholar
- Murray Buell Award for Outstanding Student in Ecology
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Conduct due diligence for lender in acquisition of a multi-state wind farm, including review and analysis of state and local environmental permits, licenses, and approvals.
- Conduct due diligence for purchaser in acquisition of a water bottling and distribution facility, including review and analysis of federal and state permits, licenses and approvals, Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, and third party health and safety regulatory assessments.
- Conduct environmental due diligence for seller in transaction involving a portfolio of several industrial and commercial properties in six states.
- Advise agricultural manufacturer on compliance with the Clean Air Act’s Risk Management Program for Chemical Accident Prevention requirements and represent the same client in enforcement action brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Represent tribal community in a proceeding before the state Office of Administrative Hearings challenging an agency action as unlawful rulemaking.
- Advise manufacturer on the regulatory requirements for selling agricultural trailers in several different states.
- Defend electric power cooperative in arbitration of a dispute over an electric service contract, resulting in dismissal of the arbitration complaint.
- Represent local government sponsor of regional flood control project before the state Office of Administrative Hearings in a contested case proceeding challenging the issuance of state permits.
- Advise electric cooperative on compliance with Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state regulations relating to generation, transmission, and interconnection.
- Advise state university on renegotiation of electric service contract, including jurisdictional issues associated with litigating the dispute and possibilities for future electric service under the utility’s tariff.
Industries & Practices
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Real Estate & Land Use