SPENCER COUNSELS CLIENTS ON TRANSACTIONS TO DEVELOP, ACQUIRE, AND COMMERCIALIZE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN THE HIGH TECHNOLOGY AND LIFE SCIENCES INDUSTRIES.
Spencer has extensive experience structuring and negotiating complex commercial agreements, technology development agreements and strategic transactions, including collaborations, joint ventures and OEM agreements for software, life sciences, and other technology companies. He also manages the intellectual property aspects of significant mergers, acquisitions, technology transfers and corporate transactions. Spencer was an editor of the Berkeley Technology Law Journal and a recipient of the Boalt Hall Fellowship.
- Routinely handles all aspects of structuring, drafting, and negotiating a broad range of technology-focused contracts, including agreements for research and development, patent licensing, IP transfers, pharmaceutical development and supply, clinical trials and other life-sciences transactions, consulting and professional services, software licensing, maintenance and support, cloud service subscriptions, equipment manufacturing, hardware and software distribution, OEM integration, semiconductor fabrication, and data usage and security.
- Highly proficient in drafting complex one-off contracts (such as novel patent pooling arrangements, unique collaboration deals, and nuanced technology spin-outs) and flexible form agreements (such as modular software license templates for an industry consortium).
- Regularly called upon to negotiate high-dollar-value and key strategic deals.
- Manages IP and commercial aspects of M&A transactions, including due diligence and negotiation of related agreement provisions.
- Supports clients in all growth stages, and in industries that include cloud and mobile applications, digital media processing and distribution, networking, supercomputers, semiconductors, social media, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer electronics, artificial intelligence, robotics, aircraft and satellites, financial technology, and open-source software.
- Has 20+ years of technology-transactions experience representing startups, mid-size firms, and top-tier technology companies worldwide, with particular focus on Silicon Valley and the Mountain West.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
March 16, 2021
January 13, 2021
November 16, 2020
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Emerging Companies
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Commerce