We have concentrated our immigration practice on employment-related immigration issues - including, obtaining temporary non-immigrant status and visas for executive and managerial transfers, treaty traders and investors, business visitors and employment in professional occupations. We also assist clients with transitioning from temporary non-immigrant status to permanent residency and naturalization. We provide services involving family-based immigration and student visa matters.
We also assist clients in their placement of key employees in foreign countries. These services are provided through our working relationship with offices of the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, Department of State, Congressional offices, and other public and governmental offices. Nearly all of Dorsey’s immigration clients are companies or organizations with a global presence. As such, Dorsey is highly experienced in handling outbound immigration projects and can assist our clients with placement of key personnel in overseas offices. Our team has an advantage in this area over many other law firms because of our firm’s global practice. We currently have foreign offices across the United States, Canada, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region. Our Hong Kong office generally serves as a hub to provide assistance for outbound immigration projects for the rest of East Asia. Our London office is capable of providing immigration law assistance for other Western European countries. Additionally, Dorsey has a solid network of outside foreign firms with which we collaborate and have excellent working relationships. We have handled outbound immigration projects for many EMEA and APAC countries.
Our clients include a wide variety of companies, organizations and individuals in financial, accounting, technology, marketing/advertising, manufacturing, biotechnology, health science, legal, entertainment, retail, agribusiness, academic, and other industries.
Included in the firm’s services are the following:
- Obtaining and advising on non-immigrant status and visas for employers on behalf of foreign nationals working temporarily in the United States. These include: A, H-1B, H-2, H-3, TN, L-1, E-1, E-2, E-3, J-1, O, P, and R non-immigrant status
- Advising Canadian and Mexican clients on immigration issues under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and obtaining admissions to the United States
- Counseling on elements and required documents for foreign visitors to the U.S., and obtaining B-1 business status and visas
- Obtaining permanent labor certifications and subsequently approval of EB-2 and EB-3 immigrant petitions and permanent resident applications
- Obtaining EB-1 immigrant petitions for persons of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and international managers/executives
- Advising on H-3 trainee and J-1 exchange visitor trainee programs and obtaining status and visas
- Advising F-1 foreign students and institutions and J-1 exchange visitors and sponsors on maintenance of status and employment issues
- Assisting foreign investors and traders and their essential employees on E-2 Investor and E-1 Trader visa options and work authorization
- Assisting multimillion dollar investors on EB-5 petitions
- Providing training and advice to corporate clients on I-9 record keeping procedures for new hires and re-verification
- Advising on the immigration issues arising from corporate mergers/acquisitions and other major organizational changes including affects on foreign employees’ employment eligibility
- Provide on-site immigration law training tailored to the specific needs of corporate clients
- Representing employers and foreign physicians/medical graduates on applications for J-1 waiver of the two-year foreign residency requirement and subsequent H-1B and permanent residency applications
- Representing foreign nationals at all types of interviews held before the Immigration authority or consular officers and consultations with U.S. consular officers abroad regarding visa issuance
- Assisting in placement of corporate clients’ key personnel in overseas offices including coordination of overseas work permit applications, tax, social security, benefits, and other foreign employment advices for ex-patriots
- Updating clients on new developments in immigration laws that are relevant to their circumstances, interests and industries
For more information regarding business immigration issues, please click 'Attorneys in this Practice' above and contact any of the attorneys listed.