Michael's reported cases include:
- Bering Straits Citizens v. U.S. Army Corps of Eng., 524 F. 3d 938 (9th Cir. 2008) Lead counsel defending against NEPA and Clean Water Act challenge to permits issued for $150 mm hard rock mine and related processing facility in Nome, Alaska. Won summary judgment upholding permits in U.S. District Court that was affirmed on appeal.
- Johnson v. Columbia Properties Anchorage, LP, 437 F. 3d 894 (9th Cir. 2006) Successfully defended owner/general contractor of Anchorage Marriott Hotel on contract claims by sub-contractor, obtaining summary judgment in trial court that was affirmed on appeal
- Wasser & Winters Co. v. Ritchie Bros., 185 P. 3d 73 (Alaska 2008) Successfully defended one of world’s largest heavy equipment auctioneers against claims by lienholder of auctioned equipment, establishing precedent protecting auctioneers.
- Frost v. Spencer, 218 P. 3d 678 (Alaska 2009) Took over appeal from trial counsel and won reversal of trial verdict in partnership dissolution case.
- Carr-Gottstein Foods Co. v. Wasilla, LLC, 182 P. 3d 1131 (Alaska 2008) Took over appeal and won reversal of two separate trial results in multi-million dollar lease litigation for Alaska’s largest supermarket chain.
Other representative litigation matters include:
- Sears, Roebuck & Co. v. Holiday Alaska, Inc., Successfully defended major gasoline retailer against CERCLA and RCRA claims brought by neighboring landowner, winning summary dismissal of claims.
- Aleut Enterprise, LLC v. Independence Bank, et al., Won summary judgment for Alaska Native Corporation subsidiary, allowing repossession of fish processing plant in Adak, Alaska, and defeating millions in counterclaims.
- Kinney v. Holiday Alaska, Inc., Successfully defended gasoline retailer against wrongful discharge claims.
- McDowell v. Tesoro Alaska Petroleum Co., Took over case after jury verdict returned against client for $1.2mm in compensatory and punitive damages for environmental contamination. On post-trial motions, won 75% remittitur of punitive damages award
- In re: Coastal Broadcasting, LLC, Successfully defended interests of local broadcaster in state antitrust investigation of proposed affiliation and shared services agreement.
- State v. Crowley Maritime, et al, Successfully defended shipping company against antitrust challenge to merger.