Dorsey lawyers have experience with both public and private investment funds:
Public Investment Funds
Dorsey’s public investment funds practice group focuses on the representation of approximately 114 U.S. registered investment companies and a variety of investment advisers. The breadth of our mutual fund client base requires that we address a broad spectrum of regulatory issues, including those pertaining to open- and closed-end, bank affiliated, no-load and load funds with a variety of classes, and funds underlying insurance products.
Dorsey’s lawyers have extensive experience in SEC regulatory and compliance matters, and in fund mergers and acquisitions. We have assisted institutions in connection with their entry into the mutual fund business, and have represented over 200 funds in connection with their SEC registration.
Private Investment Funds
Dorsey & Whitney LLP’s private investment funds lawyers advise fund managers, sponsors, investors, trustees and custodians in connection with the creation, operation and leveraging of alternative investment funds in the U.S., Europe and offshore jurisdictions. We provide clients with innovative structuring solutions, which draw upon over twenty years' of private investment funds experience. Our experience covers a range of asset classes, as detailed below. We have particular experience structuring investment vehicles and fund products which take advantage of the U.S.’s extensive network of dual taxation treaties, including listed debt securities, offshore SPVs and regulated funds. The private investment funds group works closely with other practice areas, including those relating to the underlying fund asset classes, as well as our Corporate, Regulatory Compliance, Securities and Taxation groups.
- Advising financial services companies, private equity firms and investors
- Structuring Irish and Luxembourg regulated (QIF/SIF), unregulated and listed funds
- Structuring Delaware funds and master feeder fund arrangements
- Structuring first of their kind dual-option funds enabling direct investment into debt and/or equity
- Advising on the use of UBTI blockers and dual tax treaties
- Advising in connection with the UCITS 3 Directive
- Advising across asset classes and business sectors: banking, distressed debt, energy, infrastructure/project finance, financial services, insurance, IP rights, life insurance settlements, manufacturing, movie fractions, real estate, technology
- Advising on pre-regulatory compliance infrastructure and internal controls