For years, Dorsey’s ERISA Litigation practice group has represented businesses, employers, retirement and welfare plans, payors, and others in connection with claims for breach of fiduciary duty, claims for benefits, and other disputes arising under ERISA and related laws. Dorsey & Whitney’s Trial Department is recognized in Chambers, USA 2010, and many of our lawyers are listed in the Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. Drawing on the expertise of the firm’s 10 employee benefits attorneys, our trial partners have litigated class actions and other complex matters, as well as single plaintiff claims and benefits disputes.
Recent successes include:
- Obtained summary judgment against defendant class following challenge to sponsor’s target pension plan on the group that its use of previously vested benefits as an offset violated state and federal prohibitions against age discrimination.
- Obtained dismissal of named plaintiff’s claims and won summary judgment on prohibited transaction claim alleging wrongdoing in the selection and retention of 401(k) investment options; after defeating motion for certification of mandatory class, represented sponsor on remaining claims that plaintiff brought on behalf of opt-out class.
- Successfully resolved claims that plan sponsor’s benefits committee breached fiduciary duties in retaining as a 401(k) investment option company stock after its price dropped over 90 percent.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action alleging that health insurer violated state insurance laws.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employers and insurers on numerous claims for benefits under severance, health, life, disability and pension plans.
Please contact us for more information regarding the services provided by members of our ERISA Litigation group.