Dorsey's benefits and compensation reflect our core values and firm culture. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits that enable our attorneys to fully utilize technology in meeting client needs.
Dorsey currently offers the following benefits to attorneys. All benefits are subject to change.
• Medical, dental, vision, life and long-term-care insurance
• Domestic partner benefits
• 401(k) retirement and savings plan
• Pre-tax reimbursement accounts for health care, dependent care, emergency dependent care and transportation expenses
• Employee assistance program
• On-site gym (Minneapolis and Seattle offices only)
• Back-up child care (Minneapolis, New York, Palo Alto, Seattle and Washington, D.C. offices only)
• Parental leave
• Adoption assistance plan
• Option of firm-issued Blackberry or data reimbursement program for a personal smartphone
• Bar exam and review course expense reimbursement
• Payment of bar association dues
• Continuing Legal Education expense reimbursement
We consider several factors when making compensation and bonus decisions, including billable hours, pro bono contributions, market factors, firm citizenship, and other contributions to the firm. Associate compensation increases are made at the beginning of each calendar year. Compensation decisions are determined by our Management Committee through a formal salary review process which is independent of our formal associate evaluation process.
Associates are eligible to participate in the associate bonus program, which rewards associates at the beginning of each calendar year for performance in the preceding year. The associate bonus program includes productivity and discretionary components. Associates who exceed the billable hours requirement are rewarded with a productivity bonus that ranges from 5% to 25% of their base compensation, according to a set range of hours thresholds. Up to 50 hours of pro bono work counts towards the billable hours requirement, and up to an additional 100 hours of pro bono work counts towards the productivity bonus thresholds. Starting in their third year, associates are eligible for the discretionary bonus. Discretionary bonuses range up to $50,000 and are awarded based on an associate's mastery of the associate competencies and input from the appropriate Department Chair and the Management Committee.
Associate salaries vary by geographic region. The starting salaries in selected offices are listed below. In addition to the base salaries listed on this chart, law students who accept new associate offers at Dorsey receive a $5,000 stipend and are eligible to receive a salary advance of up to $5,000 upon graduation from law school.
New York: $145,000
Palo Alto: $145,000
Salt Lake City: $110,000
Southern California: $145,000